What Brought You To Buenos Aires?

I have always travelled a lot, since I was a kid. And I always wanted to see what it was like- so, in 2007, when my oldest son was about to graduate from high school, we figured one more family trip together before logistics made it much more difficult.
it was either Hong Kong, Barcelona, or Buenos Aires- but we had already been to, and loved, the first two. Buenos Aires was cheaper than either, and an unknown adventure.
Within two days of being here, my wife and I knew it was a city we loved, so, that first week, we made an offer on our current departmento.
I guess you could say it was meant to be.

What I love about it is hard to quantify- I mean, I love the architecture, the history, the art, the music, the culture, and I do enjoy the fugazetta.
I like the fact that global multinationals have not completely taken over yet.
Tiny towns in Italy have Benneton stores on the main street- but quiet towns in the country here are generally without any chain stores but the gas stations.
I like the high education level- 12 daily newspapers.

I always wanted to do a stint here, heard it was a great city. I went traveling in Peru/Bolivia/Easter Island and met my now-boyfriend (an Argy) in Bolivia when I got my bag stolen and he helped me out *wink* *wink*. Here I am almost 3.5 years later, getting a bit tired of it but who knows what the future will bring...

i came for a temporary work gig (1-2 years) but now that im a year and change in, planning on staying once the work gig is up :)

I came/stayed here because:

-- You dont have to live in debt here to have education/healthcare/housing

-- The language is relatively easy to pick up (compared to say Arabic or Korean)

-- The immigration policy is very congenial (maybe best on the planet)

-- It's inherently less corrupt than Europe or the US. (corruption here is small time, whereas up north everything is run by corporations and their purchased politicians)

-- Decent produce/meats/etc. are very accessible and relatively inexpensive. (Although eating out blows)

-- You dont need a car to get around (even outside the city!)

-- A really decent bottle of wine can be had for less than USD $5 (but dont even think about trying to get something that isnt Argentine. "Chateuneuf de what?")

-- The language is relatively easy to pick up (compared to say Arabic or Korean)

-- It's inherently less corrupt than Europe or the US. (corruption here is small time, whereas up north everything is run by corporations and their purchased politicians)

-- Decent produce/meats/etc. are very accessible and relatively inexpensive. (Although eating out blows)

-- A really decent bottle of wine can be had for less than USD $5 (but dont even think about trying to get something that isnt Argentine. "Chateuneuf de what?")

Plus, relative safety: http://baexpats.org/...age__hl__cities
Plus, ..... many many more reasons.

Now I´m utterly confused .. :confused: :eek:

2 weeks ago I was on a totally different page ... from another planet !
How do I reconcile the overwhelming majority opinion today .... with that of 2 weeks ago ? ... :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

An explanation is very much appreciated, if possible, ....
Please, please, .. I´m not trying to start a confrontation ... just to help me understand,
I¨ll NOT talk, ... will only listen. .

I thought that because it looked Western it was Western. I was mistaken.

Why do you say that eating out here blows?

Back