What Cellphone Can Be Unlocked And Use In Argentina.

nikthaimassage

Registered
what type of phone to purchase from the usa.. which operating system should be purchased which will operate in argentina. i have a friend who will be coming to argentina and wishes to have a phone to use in our country so wishes to purchase an unlocked phone in the usa to bring with him.

Many Thanks
Nik

You need to buy an "unlocked" phone (search "unlocked phone" in Amazon for example). These are GSM phones that take a SIM card, sometimes called a "chip" that can be replaced when you travel to a new locale. The common standards are:
  • 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
  • 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
A cheaper phone might not support all these standards, so it might be better not to buy the cheapest GSM phone. Although if you try SIM cards from all the different carriers you'll probably find one that works - even with a dirt cheap GSM phone.

more specifically for argentina

2G capabilities

GSM 850, GSM 1800, GSM 1900

3G capabilities

UMTS 850, UMTS 1900

http://www.gsmarena....untry=ARGENTINA

I'm not 100% sure but i believe that your phone only needs to cover 1 of the frequencies to work here.
i.e. for 3g if your phone does 850, 1900, 2100 it should still work.

There is also the nextel network here but i have no idea about that.

You'll find lots of "quad band" phones that will work fine with 2g but having all the frequencies for 3g on the phone is not as common unless it is a top of the range one.

Hey Nik,

I use my AT&T LOCKED iPhone in Argentina with no issues. I didn't jailbreak it either ;)

I bought one of these little chips on mercadolibre which sits under your sim card and frees up your phone. The only other thing to do is visit this website while on your iPhone to change your APN to the country you want to use it in. I, for example, choose Argentina and the Personal cell network.

Easy fix! Bet it can be done with other locked US phones as well.

Back