What do American expats miss the most about living in America?

Thanks for those recommendations, FP. They don't really know BsAs at all. Might spend a day there after arriving from Peru depending on the itinerary. I'll see if I can find out from them what info they have on Peruvian restaurants in Cordoba. It's kind of interesting seeing them as expats since the whole family are now expats. Now they have something of an idea of how it was at times for me in Peru. My father in law misses things from Peru more than my mother in law. Every now and then he'll say Argentines don't know how to eat. He's traditional. If there's no soup served, it's not almuerzo.
You're more than welcome :) and the comment about soup with lunch reminded me that executive lunches in Peru always included a consomme-type soup (minuta?). I lived about a block from the Tropicana restaurant in Miraflores in Lima, maybe you know it... even their delivery lunches always came with soup. I didn't know it was a traditional thing.

I've had a meal or three at the Tropicana. When in Lima and not staying with family I liked to stay at this hostel a couple blocks from Parque de Amor. Quieter than the places by Parque Kennedy.

I remember in Arequipa every day of the week having it's own soup. Rice, too. Some say if rice isn't served it's not almuerzo. I've seen people want rice served with pizza.

I did forget to mention La Conga in Once, awful location, all the ambience of a train station waiting room, but very popular, huge portions, and the menu, including cuy, is definitely not adjusted to Argentinian taste. People queue outside waiting for it to open.

I really don't know whether they are open or not.
i really like saigon, and they make good dishes, but their pho or noodle dishes just don't compare to what i can get flavorwise in houston. and i long for a decent shrimp spring roll.

I went by Fa Song Song this afternoon. It was closed, and there was nothing outside with the name in Spanish or English, just a small overhead sign in Korean. I had to note the address, 993, and come home and look it up on Tripadvisor to confirm that was the place. It's a tiny little storefront, which explains how I managed to live in this neighborhood for over three years and never notice it, in spite of having walked right past 100 times.

Mr Ho, a block southwest on Paraguay, has ample signage and is impossible to miss.

The Saigon Noodle place is just around the corner from FSS, on Alvear.

Also notable is the fact that in over 3 years of living in this neighborhood, I have never seen one single stray dog or cat. Just saying.

Last edited:
I went by Fa Song Song this afternoon. It was closed, and there was nothing outside with the name in Spanish or English, just a small overhead sign in Korean. I had to note the address, 993, and come home and look it up on Tripadvisor to confirm that was the place. It's a tiny little storefront, which explains how I managed to live in this neighborhood for over three years and never notice it, in spite of having walked right past 100 times.

Mr Ho, a block southwest on Paraguay, has ample signage and is impossible to miss.

The Saigon Noodle place is just around the corner from FSS, on Alvear.

Also notable is the fact that in over 3 years of living in this neighborhood, I have never seen one single stray dog or cat. Just saying.
that's probably more because your local empanada shop has an alternative source for carne cuchilla

I went back to Fa Song Song just now, and had the Bulgogui.

Bulgogui.jpg

AS you can see, the portion size was just about right. Everything was fresh and tasty, and surprisingly light on salt. The total cost was 920 pesos, so about 4.50 USD. It came with a cute little paper placemat rolled up in a tube, and an envelope with plastic tableware and chopsticks. There was also a small plastic ramekin with what seemed to be shredded pickled cucumber.

The place itself is very small inside, but impeccably clean. The cooking is done behind a counter right in plain sight, which inspires confidence. The few tables were all full when I arrived about 8:40 or so, mostly locals, very few Asians to be seen. The service was snappy; the Venezolana behind the counter was notably more attentive and professional than one expects here in BsAs. I was told it would be 15 minutes, but the food was ready in 10. The same young lady who took my order brought it out the door, where I was waiting outside, and called my name.

Overall, I was impressed rather favorably. Given the economic scale, and reasonable expectations appropriate thereto, I'd rate it an honest 9.5 out of 10.

I'm not expat, I have lived here my entire life, but is Argentina food so bad compared to the US? I never have left Argentina so I didn't know we sucked so much at food.

This is one of the more amazing (and endearing) things about people in Buenos Aires. The same conversation repeated every single day of their lives, yet it never seems to get boring or repetitive. And it never seems to occur to them that they've had the same conversation a million times before. Nor does it occur to them that any other options might exist in the outside world.

A: I don't feel like cooking tonight. Let's get some takeaway.
B: OK. What do you feel like?
A: Well, let's see. We could get some empanadas.
B: Yes, that's possible. Or maybe a pizza?
A: Yes, either of those options is good. Oh, and what about a hamburger?
B: Yes. Excellent. Those are three very good options.

The other extraordinary thing is how a pizza or empanada shop can fail, and immediately be replaced, not by something innovative, but by another empanada or pizza shop.

There is a quite sizeable shop on Vincente Lopez between Rodriguez Peña and Montevideo (Nataria Portuguesa) that sells just one product: a tiny Portuguese tart in in boxes of 2 or 6. It also has a takeaway coffee machine. The guy assured me that the business goes.

Reactions: Moe
Back