What do you like?

steveinbsas said:
I like being able to go to the grocery store without having to hear screaming children or see obese women wearing sweats (as I would in Chicago).

I also appreciate the fact that women half my age "adjust" their hair as I walk toward them on the sidewalk, instead of crossing the street to avoid me (as they would in Chicago).

Funny observations!

But, you don't look dangerous in your picture, ha.

Delivery of practically anything.
Remises and remise drivers who run errands and pay bills.
House calls by doctors, vets, and car washers.
Plumbers, electricians and painters who work with their sons as apprentices and helpers, and have taken care of my house for over twenty years.
The knife sharpener that cruises San Isidro streets on his bicycle, playing a pan flute.
The fact that people always have a cousin/nephew/whatever ready to help if they can't.
The dark blue sky
The many different birds in the yard
The hummingbirds that come daily to breakfast in the Salvia Guarantica.

Never knew how many things I like about life here until I started the list.

steveinbsas said:
I like being able to go to the grocery store without having to hear screaming children or see obese women wearing sweats (as I would in Chicago).

I also appreciate the fact that women half my age "adjust" their hair as I walk toward them on the sidewalk, instead of crossing the street to avoid me (as they would in Chicago).

To my previous post I would like to add how much I like being able to sleep all night without hearing any noise whatsoever and when I do wake up and open my front door, all I hear are the birds chirping (and, if I'm up early, a rooster crowing in the distance).

For all you crazy ice cream lovers, you can get 2 kilos for the price of one at Freddo, and tons of other discounts ( 2x1 on movies, theaters, 40% off some restaurants, etc ) http://www.club.lanacion.com.ar You do not need a DNI to join, I get the Sunday paper and a magazine, all for 36 pesos, and make the most out of this card ;)

nikad said:
For all you crazy ice cream lovers, you can get 2 kilos for the price of one at Freddo, and tons of other discounts ( 2x1 on movies, theaters, 40% off some restaurants, etc ) http://www.club.lanacion.com.ar You do not need a DNI to join, I get the Sunday paper and a magazine, all for 36 pesos, and make the most out of this card ;)

And, if your quiosquero is cool and you don't like La Nación (conservative newspaper if ever there was one), you can ask him/her to give you a different newspaper.

Hmmm and on the things to like: ice cream, alfajores, choripan, kissing kissing, free activities, colectivos, cab drivers, strong family and friend culture, cafe culture, fairs, dog and kid friendly city, affordable hair stylists and maids, deliveries and street artists.

JoeBlow said:
And, if your quiosquero is cool and you don't like La Nación (conservative newspaper if ever there was one), you can ask him/her to give you a different newspaper.
Hahahah you beat me there, I didn´t know that :p

JoeBlow said:

Why would that matter? It's a good paper, regardless of political orientation. Would a bad but populist paper be preferable?

Political correctness considerations aside, the Club La Nacion is, as its name indicates, for La Nacion subscribers.

For ice cream lovers, you can DIY too.
I bought last year an used ice cream maker on mercadolibre and tried a few original recipees :
- Tomato + Albhaca + Frutilla : was delicious
- Lavender : didn't come out too well, taste was there but it was a kind of jelly ("it's alive, alive !)

Next flavor I want to try : a Mate helado ! But I still need to create the recette (using a mate suave of course).
With what fruit or vegetable, the mate flavor (suave) could marry well ?

French jurist said:
For ice cream lovers, you can DIY too.
I bought last year an used ice cream maker on mercadolibre and tried a few original recipees :
- Tomato + Albhaca + Frutilla : was delicious
- Lavender : didn't come out too well, taste was there but it was a kind of jelly ("it's alive, alive !)

Next flavor I want to try : a Mate helado ! But I still need to create the recette (using a mate suave of course).
With what fruit or vegetable, the mate flavor (suave) could marry well ?
Orange or lemon for sure ( some people put a bit of orange or lemon zest into their mates )

Back