What exactly is El Dia de la Mujer?

Amargo said:
Whingeing is a major sport among 'expats' in Argentina, it seems...even an international event gets criticised only for being observed in Argentina. If no one in Argentina would celebrate it there would be also a similar post to this one criticising the primitive Argentines for not observing it...en fin, the Gata Flora is not necessarily Argentine!

Most people probably aren't aware that this is an international day. I never heard of it back in the States. No need to attack expats for not knowing that...

va2ba said:
Most people probably aren't aware that this is an international day. I never heard of it back in the States. No need to attack expats for not knowing that...

I am an expat myself, but sometimes am just ashamed of the level of intolerance/ignorance/arrogance of some of my co-expats towards Argentines. Granted they are not perfect and do a lot of things wrongly, but it just can't be that EVERYTHING is wrong! Come on!

I must say I'm gobsmacked that it took 8 replies for someone to point out that this day has been observed internationally over a significant period of time (I believe a century qualifies as a significant period of time).

Is this just some heroic anti-commie snub that happens in yanquilandia?

I'm from the U.S. and I'd never heard of this day. While it's likely that it's celebrated/observed in the U.S., it's not common.

As for "whining" about this, if you were addressing my question, I took pains to ask it with sincerity. I didn't know what the significance of the day was, so I asked. I didn't mock it; rather I tried to see if it was a made up event (something we do A LOT of in the U.S.) or something genuine.

Thanks to those who helped clarify the meaning of the day.

ElLatingo, your question was sincere. you didn't mock it. but others subsequently did.

It's not quite the same as "La dia de noquis" Now THAT is a commercially fabricated day! So let women have a day a year when people might just think what they actually do contribute to our society other than clean, cook and pump out babies. IN MY OPINION!

International Women's Day isn't really celebrated or recognized at all in the US. In Having lived there, I know that in Italy it's celebrated all over (usually guys give women a yellow mimosa flower in appreciation) and I think some other European countries as well (though I can't vouch for that). Read about its origins here.

Amargo said:
Whingeing is a major sport among 'expats' in Argentina, it seems...even an international event gets criticised only for being observed in Argentina. If no one in Argentina would celebrate it there would be also a similar post to this one criticising the primitive Argentines for not observing it...en fin, the Gata Flora is not necessarily Argentine!
I can't argue with that!

Back