What Food From Your Home Country Did The Argentinians Ruin?

Then also the "Hambergers" too, the then king of Hamburg, Germany invented the sandwich-esque morsel as I being told. How about it germano-san?
Hamburg never had a king. As far as I know the story was that German immigrants brought a dish of raw shopped meat (somewhat similar to steak tartare) to the US which appeared as "Steak Hamburger Art" (which means something like steak hamburg style) in restaurants. Then somebody had the idea to cook the meat - and finally somebody put it between bread. No king involved.

Yeah, I should have mentioned the beer too! Shiner Bock being one of my favorites...
Yes, Shiner Bock is one of my favorites, too! Great brew! I went to Shiner once to do the brewery tour. Was quite interesting. They mentioned that during the prohibition the brewery survived by producing ice (for cooling) and some alcohol free beer. But that with good friends they "forgot" to take the alcohol out of the beer.

I've always wondered why an Argentine would continue to read what foreigners trying to adjust to their country have to say if it bothers them so much. I know I certainly never went on to forums for foreigners in the States trying to to adjust to life there to see what they thought of us and our food, clothes or what-have-you... :D

I've actually read and participated in our equivalent forum of expats in Italy for 4 years when I was younger.
I was curious to read what others found interesting in my country, what lead them to move to Italy. I ended up believing that all the US citizens dreamt about la dolce vita and tried to get an Italian passport by digging back into old archives looking for an Italian relative (with an Italian passport, you can live & work anywhere within the EU).

You can imagine my dismay when I actually visited the US and the people I told was Italian thought I was seeking asylum from a 3rd world country. Really! I posted an ad for a language exchange and I got a reply on the line "my spicy meatball... we both knows you are here seeking for a green card". Other people barely knew Italy was in Europe, and Florence, Rome and Venice were all the same to them.

Apart from this, it really helped me to gain another perspective on Italy, besides being a GREAT way to learn/practice English daily on everyday's topics. Of course, that also prompted me to explore other countries and to question things I had always given for granted/normal. Some of their comments were annoying, and I think I posted bitter comments myself. However I consider it one of the most enriching experience of my life, although it never made me leave my room.

I am actually on this forum to liven up my curiosity for Argentina. Living in Buenos Aires will give me access to plenty of people with a different background than mine - in Italy I lived in a small town that was plain and boring. I don't really need advices on Argentinian stuff because I am not here alone - my boyfriend and his family live here - but I like to because they easily fall in the trap that "this is how is it" and stop. Argentinians, besides, aren't struggling to improve their everyday life - something I can't really understand.

I'm taking note of all the countries you guys and girls are from. One day I'll travel to each country on my list and I'll become the whiniest person ever to visit that country. I'll always have one little obnoxious complaint about everything: food, clothes, public transport, security. Oh, and I'll come back here and let you know. Wait and see. Oh, payback...

Very mature.

If they ruined so much why doesn't everyone just go to America, where everything is super authentic and not ruined at all ;)

Isadora, I can understand your perspective, and really that of those who are locals here, such as Adrian. And I wasn't trying to be xenophobic or anything with Adrian, either.

To me, it just feels a little voyeuristic. It's like going to the psychiatrist knowing that he or she is going to go home and tell their family what they heard in session for the day, personal commentary and all :) I try to be as fair as I can with my observations and sometimes it can be at best an irritation to someone locally, even if they agree with me to a large extent. No one likes having their problems discussed in public, I'm sure.

I use this forum for 3 reasons:

1) Because it can be a great resource for figuring out how to get things done here. Obviously locals can help with this if they are so inclined. Expats with experience can usually handle most everything, but sometimes the local point of view is invaluable in understanding a situation.

2) Because it is a place where I can shed some aggravation with some of the things that happen to me in the course of a day. Sometimes simply things that are so culturally different at its base, like people walking out of stores from doorways onto a crowded sidewalk without it even occurring to the one who is exiting that there is a very good probability that there are other people on the other side of the doorway into whom they are going to be crashing - to me it is bad manners, yet to people here it is considered normal and dealt with differently. Sometimes I just need to get it out. Then I'm OK.

3) Because I like to help other people and this is a way I can do it - see #1. I also try to be as factual as possible and not sugar-coat anything, at least not too much. I also try not to go to the other extreme and say everything here is bad, when obviously it isn't. However, people who are considering making a big change in their life deserve to know the bad things, even the little things, in helping to make their decisions. I've seen people on this forum, and people in person, come down here and be very disappointed with the reality. Even people that had visited here for weeks at a time over a year or something and then moved down here and get disappointed in the difference between visiting here and living here.

I don't want to offend anyone if I can help it. I'm sure I end up offending people with just about everything I write - there will always be people who don't agree with what I have to say. That's why, when I see a local mention that the complaining on here seems incessant, I feel a little bad and wonder why they would continue to subject themselves to such. Particularly because I am using this forum as a pressure release valve where I can show the source of pressure to others who may profit from it and NOT as a place to publish my manifesto against all wrongs in Argentina.

And the fact is, there are many locals on here who have been very helpful and I do appreciate them all. I can think of only one or two, over the years, that have been obnoxious and really disruptive to the flow of words - percentage-wise probably about as much as the expats on here as well that cause the same sorts of issues :D

If they ruined so much why doesn't everyone just go to America, where everything is super authentic and not ruined at all ;)

1) Because food is not the only thing in life that is important. We can take it if the food isn't perfect. But,

2) We will complain about it because we come from a culture that is used to making things better by complaining, and

3) Since this culture is different we can't complain to those who don't cook the way we like because it won't do any good, so

4) We talk about it on the forum and laugh it off.

:)

That reminds me of something I witnessed in New Jersey some years ago. A couple of women in a Saab convertible with NY plates - that were obviously lost - tried to do a u-turn and were kind of blocking the whole intersection. Other drivers were honking their horns and one driver of a pickup truck lowered the window to shout at them: "Go back to fucking New York!!!".

I'm taking note of all the countries you guys and girls are from. One day I'll travel to each country on my list and I'll become the whiniest person ever to visit that country. I'll always have one little obnoxious complaint about everything: food, clothes, public transport, security. Oh, and I'll come back here and let you know. Wait and see. Oh, payback...

No you won't. You'll be overwhelmed by the variety and quality and vow to never return to Argentina. I've seen it happen.

Yeah, I should have mentioned the beer too! Shiner Bock being one of my favorites...

Sadly, Shiner is a pale shadow of the great beer it was before Gambrinus bought it. Shiner Bock was a true bock beer, brewed in October and sold until they ran out, usually around June or July of the next year.

And I miss Shiner Premium as well - one stout pilsener.

Back