What Food From Your Home Country Did The Argentinians Ruin?

For me the buffets encourage healthy eating because I can make a salad with several different types of vegetables in addition to a main course. Whereas the standard Menu del Dia is for example Milanesa, mashed potatoes, a wedge of lemon, gaseosa, and flan for twice the price. If there is a salad, in an economical resto, its the standard lettuce, tomatoes and carrots.
But why don't you just make something healthy at home then? How about a nice organically grown kale salad?

Despite what some US authorities would like to think, the border with Mexico is, has been and always will be an area where cultures blend and adapt to each other. Lines on the map (and even physical barriers) do not change that reality.

And for anyone interested, i recommend Carlos Fuentes 'La frontera de cristal'. I know its off topic, but its a good read. ;)

When it comes to Dutch cuisine theres not much to ruin really, and there arent many of us in Argentina anyway. We make nice cookies though. I have a friend from Argentina that lived in Holland for a while. We were talking about food and sweets specifically when at almost the same moment i said 'I hate that you put dulce de leche in everything', when she went 'i hate that you have to put cinnamon in everything!'. I suppose if they get their hands on some stroopwafels (waffles with syrup in the middle) in Argentina, theyll start stuffing them with dulce de leche too.

And for anyone interested, i recommend Carlos Fuentes 'La frontera de cristal'. I know its off topic, but its a good read. ;)

There are many good books on this topic, notably including Ted Conover's Coyotes (http://www.tedconover.com/book-coyotes/), Luis Alberto Urrea's Across the Wire (http://www.luisurrea.com/books/non-fiction/across-wire-life-and-hard-times-mexican-border), and Rubén Martínez's The Other Side (http://rubenmartinez.la/writing/books/the-other-side-notes-from-the-new-l-a-mexico-city-and-beyond/).

When it comes to Dutch cuisine theres not much to ruin really, and there arent many of us in Argentina anyway. We make nice cookies though. I have a friend from Argentina that lived in Holland for a while. We were talking about food and sweets specifically when at almost the same moment i said 'I hate that you put dulce de leche in everything', when she went 'i hate that you have to put cinnamon in everything!'. I suppose if they get their hands on some stroopwafels (waffles with syrup in the middle) in Argentina, theyll start stuffing them with dulce de leche too.

There are nice Belgian waffles in El Bolsón where, fortunately, the default topping is raspberries and whipped cream.

There are nice Belgian waffles in El Bolsón where, fortunately, the default topping is raspberries and whipped cream.

Stroopwafels are quite different though. Much thinner and with a layer of syrup between them:

2q3zrb8.jpg

No toppings, although they have serve as a topping of a cup of tea or coffee.

Stroopwafels are quite different though. Much thinner and with a layer of syrup between them:

2q3zrb8.jpg

No toppings, although they have serve as a topping of a cup of tea or coffee.

Didn't know this, thanks, sounds a little too sweet for my taste.

Didn't know this, thanks, sounds a little too sweet for my taste.

They would be if they had dulce de leche inside. Im not the biggest fan, but so far i havent met anyone else that didnt like them. They do get better when you put them over a cup of coffee and the syrup starts melting. Or when you get a freshly baked, still warm one at the market.

They would be if they had dulce de leche inside. Im not the biggest fan, but so far i havent met anyone else that didnt like them. They do get better when you put them over a cup of coffee and the syrup starts melting. Or when you get a freshly baked, still warm one at the market.

Are they soft or crispy (I prefer soft)?

Back