What Food From Your Home Country Did The Argentinians Ruin?

If it's any consolation Isdora I will never forget seeing dried pasta deep fried in oil on a UK tv show highlighting the unhealthiness of the Argentine diet in the villas (vs a guying eating junk food in the uk)..maybe a small comfort to you when the next soggy watery stuff is presented.

I have bought chorizo at the local carnicería and baked it myself with no ill effects, it's just a bit too salty for my taste. And, of course, it's nothing like the chorizo of Mexico...
Two different things completely: Argentinian Chorizo and Mexican Chorizo.

Hombre germano-san, could you define the two countries Chorizos preparation difference?
If find the Mexican chorizo more like a spicier relative of the spanish chorizo - that is usually fried or grilled and then chopped and added to something else (like cheese, eggs, potatoes etc.). Whereas the Argentinian chorizo seems more like a bigger version of the German bratwurst.

Isadora, haven't you tried cooking for them? Teach them how it is done in Italy, I guess they won't get offended, and if they do, well, at least they'll have a good meal.

If find the Mexican chorizo more like a spicier relative of the spanish chorizo - that is usually fried or grilled and then chopped and added to something else (like cheese, eggs, potatoes etc.). Whereas the Argentinian chorizo seems more like a bigger version of the German bratwurst.

I see, so the Mex Chorizos are more to be eaten mixed to enhance the diff cuisine's flavour. versus the Argies eaten more like a real sausage that you would munch directly biting into it. Plumpier and juicier perhaps...Then me liking the Argie type better.

Isadora, haven't you tried cooking for them? Teach them how it is done in Italy, I guess they won't get offended, and if they do, well, at least they'll have a good meal.

They didn't appreciate it. They said my pizza "had no topping", that the mozzarella di bufala and the burrata cheeses had no taste, the tiramisù had no enough sugar.
I gave up.

I guess good food is like grammar: you can appreciate it only if you know it. Else, you can live well without it anyway.

Argentinians, besides, aren't struggling to improve their everyday life - something I can't really understand.

Isadora, it's impossible to give a serious reply to the above statement, but if it makes you feel better about yourself then good for you.

I am Piedmontese. by the way...

Isadora, I can understand your perspective, and really that of those who are locals here, such as Adrian. And I wasn't trying to be xenophobic or anything with Adrian, either.

To me, it just feels a little voyeuristic. It's like going to the psychiatrist knowing that he or she is going to go home and tell their family what they heard in session for the day, personal commentary and all :) I try to be as fair as I can with my observations and sometimes it can be at best an irritation to someone locally, even if they agree with me to a large extent. No one likes having their problems discussed in public, I'm sure.

I use this forum for 3 reasons:

1) Because it can be a great resource for figuring out how to get things done here. Obviously locals can help with this if they are so inclined. Expats with experience can usually handle most everything, but sometimes the local point of view is invaluable in understanding a situation.

2) Because it is a place where I can shed some aggravation with some of the things that happen to me in the course of a day. Sometimes simply things that are so culturally different at its base, like people walking out of stores from doorways onto a crowded sidewalk without it even occurring to the one who is exiting that there is a very good probability that there are other people on the other side of the doorway into whom they are going to be crashing - to me it is bad manners, yet to people here it is considered normal and dealt with differently. Sometimes I just need to get it out. Then I'm OK.

3) Because I like to help other people and this is a way I can do it - see #1. I also try to be as factual as possible and not sugar-coat anything, at least not too much. I also try not to go to the other extreme and say everything here is bad, when obviously it isn't. However, people who are considering making a big change in their life deserve to know the bad things, even the little things, in helping to make their decisions. I've seen people on this forum, and people in person, come down here and be very disappointed with the reality. Even people that had visited here for weeks at a time over a year or something and then moved down here and get disappointed in the difference between visiting here and living here.

I don't want to offend anyone if I can help it. I'm sure I end up offending people with just about everything I write - there will always be people who don't agree with what I have to say. That's why, when I see a local mention that the complaining on here seems incessant, I feel a little bad and wonder why they would continue to subject themselves to such. Particularly because I am using this forum as a pressure release valve where I can show the source of pressure to others who may profit from it and NOT as a place to publish my manifesto against all wrongs in Argentina.

And the fact is, there are many locals on here who have been very helpful and I do appreciate them all. I can think of only one or two, over the years, that have been obnoxious and really disruptive to the flow of words - percentage-wise probably about as much as the expats on here as well that cause the same sorts of issues :D

Hi Queso, I truly appreciate your thoughtful reply and I understand what you mean about the need to vent when you're adapting to a new environment. I've been there and the transition can be stressful. I sometimes find myself frustrated and angry (quite angry!!) by certain aspects of life in Argentina and yes, a good rant can help but I believe there is a difference between anger/frustration and demonstrating a marked and persistent attitude of superiority/smugness and a willingness to use mockery and stereotypes to place one's ethnic group above another. I'm not pointing a finger at you, nor at 100% of this community. I think the good folks here know there is a percentage of users that fit the description I just gave even though I understand that when we're in a foreign country we aren't so picky about whom we associate with as long as they're compatriots (I have been guilty of that myself).

As for the Argentines on this board, I think it makes sense for people who either speak English as a second language or have lived in the U.S. and other English speaking countries to want to befriend expats/immigrants, as well as offer them help (as you said, locals can be valuable and more so if they're bilingual) but it also makes sense that they'd be disheartened when they realize that the people they were interested in befriending are acting this way (not all but a large percentage).

Back