What Food From Your Home Country Did The Argentinians Ruin?

Today my mother-in-law called to invite us to dinner on Saturday night and excitedly announced she will be making Mondongo -- the one Argentine food that I really, truly, cannot stomach at all (haha pun intended for those of you who know what the dish is!) She asked if I like it, I've had it before and can say I truly truly do not like this dish. Anyway I told her, look, it's not my favourite but do not go out of the way to make anything different for me, I'm not going to inconvenience her. I suspect I'll find myself eating patitas or whatever she serves to the kids!
Just cross fingers that she doesn´t come up with the brilliant mondongo milanesas...just on case, do not mention these two words during dinner. I am not a big fan of this texture either, I like the rest of the dish, just not the " towel " as they call it. It is one of those dishes that take hours to prepare, like locro, etc, is she trying to be nice or your husband loves it? Thanks God for patitas hehehe

I'm surprised so many people envy our food. Your envy is such that the only thing you can do is criticize us. We are like the pretty girl that just because she's hot all the other girls hate, criticize and are looking constantly for a teeny tiny flaw. Let it go!

Today my mother-in-law called to invite us to dinner on Saturday night and excitedly announced she will be making Mondongo -- the one Argentine food that I really, truly, cannot stomach at all (haha pun intended for those of you who know what the dish is!) She asked if I like it, I've had it before and can say I truly truly do not like this dish. Anyway I told her, look, it's not my favourite but do not go out of the way to make anything different for me, I'm not going to inconvenience her. I suspect I'll find myself eating patitas or whatever she serves to the kids!

Well I only know two of my fellow countrymen who like mondongo, everybody else hates it. It's like I could go to your country and pick the most disgusting traditional food you can offer and then make my judgement from there.

Just cross fingers that she doesn´t come up with the brilliant mondongo milanesas...just on case, do not mention these two words during dinner. I am not a big fan of this texture either, I like the rest of the dish, just not the " towel " as they call it. It is one of those dishes that take hours to prepare, like locro, etc, is she trying to be nice or your husband loves it? Thanks God for patitas hehehe

How disgusting yak to mention the Towel because of the internal texture of the cows stomach yak . When they cook this stomach parts for hours the stench is all over the place. Give me a break . Not for me.

How disgusting yak to mention the Towel because of the internal texture of the cows stomach yak . When they cook this stomach parts for hours the stench is all over the place. Give me a break . Not for me.
In all honesty I like the smell and the flavor but really hate the texture :p This dish is of Spanish origin in reality and it is called callos a la madrileña.

In all honesty I like the smell and the flavor but really hate the texture :p This dish is of Spanish origin in reality and it is called callos a la madrileña.

You like the smell of cow dung when being cooked ? :eek: what about Tripes-a-la Mode in France. I refuse to look at it Would rather eat mountain Oysters (Criadillas).

So I understand it correctly that you are italian? So maybe you can explain it to me. What happened to your paisanos? Do they forget how to make authentic italian food after a couple of generations across the ocean? Why isn't there more?

I don't know, I don't know. Really. They even still have Italian citizenship. What a shame!

At least they don't show off they are Italo-Americans like they do in the US. That's pitiful.
So, anybody with *some* $10k to invest and an adventurous spirit wanna start a real Italian restaurant in BsAs?
You bring the money, I bring the cook.

You like the smell of cow dung when being cooked ? :eek: what about Tripes-a-la Mode in France. I refuse to look at it Would rather eat mountain Oysters (Criadillas).
Heheheh, well, in every country in the world, except for the US people eat guts, intestines, stomach, etc... just like soccer and American football :)

Callos can also be a synonym for scallops and once, in Guatemala, I ordered mondongo by mistake for that reason.

Heheheh, well, in every country in the world, except for the US people eat guts, intestines, stomach, etc... just like soccer and American football :)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_oysters

Back