What Food From Your Home Country Did The Argentinians Ruin?

Well, or perhaps we are use to eat some kind of food and we like it in some certain way, and when you bring "the real thing" we find it strange and not tasty. For example, my dad traveled around the world and he's always telling me how Italian pizza is not good, mainly pizza from Naples. I'm visualizing Isadora reading this and going WTF?!
Now that I think of, it's weird how your family complains your pizza has no toppings and then many people here complain how argentine pizza has no toppings. To me both are wrong, a good pizza shouldn't be judge from the toppings. Mozzarella pizza should be the norm to judge pizza (perhaps with a little of parmesan or provolone cheese on top).

Nah, nah , nah, the default to judge by is the classic Margherita, with tomato, fresh basil, and a dusting of fresh-ground black pepper.

Nah, nah , nah, the default to judge by is the classic Margherita, with tomato, fresh basil, and a dusting of fresh-ground black pepper.

I concur with Redpossum-san. When entering a Pizza parlor for the 1st time, I always start by trying the simple Pizza. If I like it
then next time order the more variety without any remorse. If the Margherita is done right, then all other will be fine as well.

Never heard about the pepper, but if you like spicy stuff you could top it with spiced EVO. It is not hard to do, just take a small bottle of EVO and add dried small hot peppers (entire or crushed).
If you go to a true Italian place just ask for olio piccante or olio al peperoncino. You can DOY at home, there is plenty of pages on how.

Now, if you have a oven, you can try to make an Italian pizza even here in Argentina. You can buy the fresh dough at the supermarket, make a round pizza (thickness to taste), spread the plain tomato sauce on top with the help of the back of a spoon, then break apart the real mozzarella (here they call it polpetta fiordilatte and you can find it almost anywhere) , preferably if made of "latte di bufala" (creamier). Add 2-3 basil fresh leaves, some EVO and bake on high temp.

When you notice the mozzarella bubbling, lightly golden, take out the pizza and serve. Add the spiced EVO on top and enjoy.

If you have a piedra, the better (sold at Jumbo for 20 USD, I think). Just put it in the oven waaay before, it has to be evenly hot.

Sheppard's/Cottage pie. Whilst a good attempt Pastel de papa just isn't as good.

Since there are no sugar maple trees in Patagonia they haven't been able to ruin our national treasure: Maple Syrup.

However out of pure spite they have prevented the importation of this nectar of the Northern Gods.

Hehe, this applies to Norway as well! We might do fish better, but that also has to do with the varieties and availability. And anybody who has been to Norway can probably attest to the fact that the cuisine is rather blah and that anything you eat out is extremely expensive, so you except something amazing and more often than not, it is not... Can't think of anything Norwegian that has been ruined here. One thing of ours they definitely do better, bacalo, but I guess that comes from Spain and Portugal more than Argentina.
Another bacalao country, its very 'typical' in here too :p

I had never heard of stroopwafels before this post and just a day after seeing it I just happened to come across some.

IMAGE_55.jpg

Haha what a coincidence! Or what i call the yellow car effect. You never see yellow cars, until you think of the fact that you never see them, and then all of a sudden, theyre everywhere :)

Back