What happens to a permanent residency when you leave for good?

I was granted permenant residency in 2012 and I had the booklet version of the DNI until I got the "nueva tarjeta" of the DNI in 2014. The expiration date is in the year 2029, fifteen years from the date of issue. Could this have been the result of a "typo" when the card was being prepared?

My understanding is that the DNI document does not have to be replaced until the expiration date however failure to be present for two years or more cancels the residency. Please check with a qualified immigration lawyer to verify this.

So there is no law which demands presence in the country once you are granted citizenship? I suppose if you were out of Argentina you can even renew your Argentine passport at any foreign embassy/consulate? Or is the passport something that is only issued in Argentina? I know the issuance of passports has recently changed and is no longer done by the Federal Police.
The Cónsul is able to extend the passport (I think that another 5 years) and to give you a provisional passport that is valid only to come back.
Freedom is debated from the freedom of address. As soon as the AR law is a manumission act, address is out of debate.

I was granted permenant residency in 2012 and I had the booklet version of the DNI until I got the "nueva tarjeta" of the DNI in 2014. The expiration date is in the year 2029, fifteen years from the date of issue. Could this have been the result of a "typo" when the card was being prepared?
Steve, Decree 1501/2009. 15 years is an unsual term, 10 is the most common because it comes from roman law of usucapio of land.

I asked an immigration lawyer about this a few months ago. At that time he said that the immigration authorities had NOT extended the two years due to the pandemic. If this has changed I am not aware of it. As to whether you will be admitted, if your DNI has an expiration date beyond the date of your return it will probably be up to the immigration official at Ezeiza. He may let you in. It's not likely that the airline check in people will know anything about Argentine immigration law, especially if you are leaving anywhere but Miami (and I doubt they'd know anything there - they'll probably just check the expiration of your DNI, if that). Before leaving I would check with a competent immigration lawyer in Argentina - an IMMIGRATION lawyer, not just any lawyer.
Time was frozen until a few weeks ago. It was the President, not the DNM authorities who enacted a DNU because of the pandemic that frozen administrative dead lines like it is still on with the driver and guns licenses.

Time was frozen until a few weeks ago. It was the President, not the DNM authorities who enacted a DNU because of the pandemic that frozen administrative dead lines like it is still on with the driver and guns licenses.

Sorry, you are saying that the President removed the requirement that foreigners with Permanent Residence have to return once every two years? Then he reimposed the requirement ("until a few weeks ago...")? I think we need an immigration lawyer to address this issue.

The whole idea of the Consul helping someone is nowadays an anachronism, Expat means that in foreign land you are under the jurisdiction of your Consul who is your judge who enforce the law of your homeland in a foreign country. This system was developed when the world was divided by religions in the Medieval Age and abandoned completely about 100 years ago.
In Argentina it was replaced by Federal Courts that is how we call Internationals Courts where local judges enforce international private law (status law).

Consular assitance to foreign nationals is limited - there's not much they can do beyond offering advice and support. They will not provide this limited service to anyone entering the country as a national of that country, even if they hold dual citizenship.

My understanding is that the DNI document does not have to be replaced until the expiration date however failure to be present for two years or more cancels the residency. Please check with a qualified immigration lawyer to verify this.
Thanks, Sergio. I appreciate the advice.

I never actually consulted a "qualified immigration lawyer" when applying for either temporay or permanent residnecy.

My Argentine girlfriend insisted that I use her attorney (who knew almost notning about immigration) to apply for temporary residency in 2006. After I realized they were in cahoots to get me to buy an apartment and put it in her name, I dumped both of them and applied for the temporary residnecy with the help of the "clipboard lady" who I met on the sidewalk, directly in front of my soon to be ex-girlfriend's office after returning from a meeting with her attorney.

If I ever have any doubts about my DNI, I will simply check with the office of the Registro in Punta Alta. They issued the nueva tarjeta in 2014.

I haven't had to deal with the DNM since 2009 (which is the year I was actually granted permanent residency, not 2012 as I wrote yesterday).

I don't think I will ever fail to be present in Argentina for two years or more and, as a result, lose my permanent residency. In fact, I seriously doubt I will ever leave the country again

Last edited:
Thanks, Sergio. I appreciate the advice.

I never actually consulted a "qualified immigration lawyer" when applying for either temporay or permanent residnecy.

My Argentine girlfriend insisted that I use her attorney (who knew almost notning about immigration) to apply for temporary residency in 2006. After I realized they were in cahoots to get me to buy an apartment and put it in her name, I dumped both of them and applied for the temporary residnecy with the help of the "clipboard lady" who I met on the sidewalk, directly in front of my soon to be ex-girlfriend's office after returning from a meeting with her attorney.

If I ever have any doubts about my DNI, I will simply check with the office of the Registro in Punta Alta. They issued the nueva tarjeta in 2014.

I haven't had to deal with the DNM since 2009 (which is the year I was actually granted permanent residency, not 2012 as I wrote yesterday).

I don't think I will ever fail to be present in Argentina for two years or more and, as a result, lose my permanent residency. In fact, I seriously doubt I will ever leave the country again
Steven,

What you shared with us is amazing from all angles.

I am intrigued by the part of your former girlfriend and her attorney conspiring against you for a property in her name.

The basic question is: How do you ever know who you can trust in this life?

I know there are always signs and sometimes the signs are not so easy to recognize until AFTER the fact, but I am just amazed by the level of deceit attempted by someone who worked so hard to gain your trust. And the scary part is that is was probably both motive and intention from the word go. In a sense, every moment spent with your former partner was living a lie.

I am happy you were not damaged. (So many people are.)

Back