What happens to a permanent residency when you leave for good?

"You only use the DNI to enter or exit on a flight to a neighboring or Mercosur country. For example Brazil or Chile."
You also need your passport. I once tried to take the ferry to Uruguay using only my DNI but was turned away as I did not have my foreign passport.

You also need your passport. I once tried to take the ferry to Uruguay using only my DNI but was turned away as I did not have my foreign passport.
Right sorry, I meant to day "enter". I do think Chile accepts only DNI extranjero to enter as well. But UY and Brazil do not and ask for your passport as well.

Really? When was this? I travelled to Uruguay with my foreign passport and DNI and was chastised leaving Argentina for having my passport. Chile and Brazil always required both, and at one point Brazil required a visa for US citizens. Same for Paraguay.

Yes and no. The officials at the airport generally can easily see recent entry and exits on the same document/passport. But enter on a DNI and exit with a passport and it becomes more complicated. Or even if you change you passport number when getting a new passport. Again, the system DOES connect the entries and exits by using NAME, date of birth etc. (it does not rely only on the dni/passport number) but it's not really automatic. If you request your "movimiento migratorio" from DNM it will capture ALL entries and exits with different documents but based on my experience immigration officials at the border cannot see all the information if it's an old entry/exit or different travel docs have been used for entry/exit. So one "strategy" to maybe avoid being caught is if you left Argentina with your passport, is to re-enter via a neighboring country like Brazil or Chile with the DNI. That would reduce the chance of getting caught. This is just my guess....
Sounds like a pre Covid advice. Now you are lucky if you are accepted to just one country.

It was some years ago now, but when I traveled to Uruguay and I only presented my DNI, and there were no questions asked about a passport. Also, one time I arrived into Argentina from overseas and only presented my (permanent resident) DNI. Again, no questions asked.

However, I am one of those people that look pretty innocuous and tend to have a breeze of a time with things like that, where others have a bit more questioning.

It was some years ago now, but when I traveled to Uruguay and I only presented my DNI, and there were no questions asked about a passport. Also, one time I arrived into Argentina from overseas and only presented my (permanent resident) DNI. Again, no questions asked.

However, I am one of those people that look pretty innocuous and tend to have a breeze of a time with things like that, where others have a bit more questioning.

I only know my experience. I was in line at Buquebus going to Colonia. Migraciones told me I could not travel with only a DNI. Fortunately I had tome to retiurn to get my passport. This was also a long time ago. I don't recommend that any PR try to leave without their passport.

Also, one time I arrived into Argentina from overseas and only presented my (permanent resident) DNI

That's different.
DNI shows that you are perm. resident in Argentina hence you have right to enter and live in Argentina. Passport is irrelevant.

Similarly I can enter the US with my green card (perm. resident card) alone without any passport.

When you travel to Uruguay or Chile there is no law stating that Argentine permanent residents can enter Chile. US citizens may enter Chile. Or Argentine citizens may enter Chile. Argentine DNI states your nationality but it does not prove it. Your US citizenship could have been revoked aeons ago.
That's why you need passport to prove your nationality which comes with visa-free entry.
Argentine permanent residency does not offer visa-free entry to Chile.

Obviously there are always relaxed border officers who might admit you without all proper documents.

That's different.
DNI shows that you are perm. resident in Argentina hence you have right to enter and live in Argentina. Passport is irrelevant.

Similarly I can enter the US with my green card (perm. resident card) alone without any passport.

When you travel to Uruguay or Chile there is no law stating that Argentine permanent residents can enter Chile. US citizens may enter Chile. Or Argentine citizens may enter Chile. Argentine DNI states your nationality but it does not prove it. Your US citizenship could have been revoked aeons ago.
That's why you need passport to prove your nationality which comes with visa-free entry.
Argentine permanent residency does not offer visa-free entry to Chile.

Obviously there are always relaxed border officers who might admit you without all proper documents.
With PR you can travel to Chile without passport:

Back