What happens to a permanent residency when you leave for good?

I am intrigued by the part of your former girlfriend and her attorney conspiring against you for a property in her name.

I am happy you were not damaged. (So many people are.)

She was extremely emotional and even violent on several occasions.

Once she became so hysterical that she lost consciousness and I had to call an ambulance to take her to a hospital where she was revived about an hour later. That was really scarry. The ambulance driver gave me quite the stare-down and I rode with her in the (closed) back of the ambulane on the way to the hospital while the "EMT" rode in the front with the driver!!

The first time she was violent (after I told her I went to AFIP on my own to get athe CDI), she threw two bronze sculptures by Tom Bennett (10" x 15" and 6" x 18") at me. One missed, damaging the surface of the floor of my rented apartment, but the other hit me in the leg leaving a large bruise on my thigh.

The last time,(when I STUPIDLY ased if she would watch my dog while I went to Bariloche to look at property), she slapped me so hard on the left side of my head that I lost about 98 percent hearing in that ear. I can barely hear the radio at night when I am in bed and lying on my right side.

Sorry, you are saying that the President removed the requirement that foreigners with Permanent Residence have to return once every two years? Then he reimposed the requirement ("until a few weeks ago...")? I think we need an immigration lawyer to address this issue.
You are not understanding.
There are different ways to account time: natural (every day and hour counts), judicial (only working days not including winter and summer Court hollidays), civil (every complete day), fiscal (from fiscal to fiscal year) and administrative (under the rule of the President). All of them have different rules.
Administrative time is how the administration, the Executive Power counts time and deadlines where the President is the Head of State.
By the Emergency decree of Covid-19, DNU 260/2020, the President stop administrative time since March 2020 until the end of June 2021 with another 15 days of grace period.
To pay for a consultation with a lawyer is always a good idea.

Steven,

What you shared with us is amazing from all angles.

I am intrigued by the part of your former girlfriend and her attorney conspiring against you for a property in her name.

The basic question is: How do you ever know who you can trust in this life?

I know there are always signs and sometimes the signs are not so easy to recognize until AFTER the fact, but I am just amazed by the level of deceit attempted by someone who worked so hard to gain your trust. And the scary part is that is was probably both motive and intention from the word go. In a sense, every moment spent with your former partner was living a lie.

I am happy you were not damaged. (So many people are.)
Simple. There is no reason to put assets under someone else name, never.

And all has because the decree says so.
When I said it is unusual is because id law International Law where the dead lines are of 10 years.
But the decree was signed by Nestor K who, as a good peronist, ignored roman law with the 15 years expiration date.

So Bajo a permanent resident can stay abroad over 2 years...? because of the pandemic.

So Bajo a permanent resident can stay abroad over 2 years...? because of the pandemic.
Indeed. I have an appeal exactly about this topic at the Chamber of Appeals and the Prosecutor opinion was in my favor, the time you are outside does not count. Nowadays not even citizens can come back besides the quota.
Time is frozen since DNU 260/2020 (March 12th, 2020).
However, to apply for an habeas corpus in advance to have clear your re-entry right, is a good idea.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sergio. I appreciate the advice.

I never actually consulted a "qualified immigration lawyer" when applying for either temporay or permanent residnecy.

My Argentine girlfriend insisted that I use her attorney (who knew almost notning about immigration) to apply for temporary residency in 2006. After I realized they were in cahoots to get me to buy an apartment and put it in her name, I dumped both of them and applied for the temporary residnecy with the help of the "clipboard lady" who I met on the sidewalk, directly in front of my soon to be ex-girlfriend's office after returning from a meeting with her attorney.

If I ever have any doubts about my DNI, I will simply check with the office of the Registro in Punta Alta. They issued the nueva tarjeta in 2014.

I haven't had to deal with the DNM since 2009 (which is the year I was actually granted permanent residency, not 2012 as I wrote yesterday).

I don't think I will ever fail to be present in Argentina for two years or more and, as a result, lose my permanent residency. In fact, I seriously doubt I will ever leave the country again

There are competent, honest lawyers in Argentina including immigration lawyers. Some foreigners find lawyers who say that they are expert in an area of the law about which they know little. That is why I suggest that people with questions about the status of their DNIs consult a qualified immigration lawyer. Finding one may not be easy if you are not in Argentina and not well connected. I have always relied on friends who know good people who have helped. Without their help I could have been seriously cheated on a number of occasions. Doing it on your own may work in some cases but I don't encourage it. As to whether someone can stay out of the country for over two years and return w/o problems, I cannot say. I suspect it would have to do with the immigration official at Ezeiza. A lot is ambitious in Argentina. Looking for black and white answers here can be a waste of time. Anyway, for someone who has immigration concerns, I suggest looking for a lawyer who only deals with immigration matters - and preferably one who has been recommended by someone you trust. He/she should know what is currently happening.

There are competent, honest lawyers in Argentina including immigration lawyers. Some foreigners find lawyers who say that they are expert in an area of the law about which they know little. That is why I suggest that people with questions about the status of their DNIs consult a qualified immigration lawyer. Finding one may not be easy if you are not in Argentina and not well connected. I have always relied on friends who know good people who have helped. Without their help I could have been seriously cheated on a number of occasions. Doing it on your own may work in some cases but I don't encourage it. As to whether someone can stay out of the country for over two years and return w/o problems, I cannot say. I suspect it would have to do with the immigration official at Ezeiza. A lot is ambitious in Argentina. Looking for black and white answers here can be a waste of time. Anyway, for someone who has immigration concerns, I suggest looking for a lawyer who only deals with immigration matters - and preferably one who has been recommended by someone you trust. He/she should know what is currently happening.

I meant to say that a lot is AMBIGUOUS in Argentina !

You need to pay a lot of attention before hiring a lawyer. Personally, I paid 700 dollars to a lawyer who claimed to know about citizenship matter. I naively believed her bla bla especially that I am married to an Argentine citizen and I already have permanent residence, so my case is supposed to be as easy as pie. It turned out she was a liar and extremely ignorant. She caused unnecessary and significant delays in the process until I found out about that when one day I sent an email to the juzgado to ask about my expediente and the reply was that it's pending as the 'competent' lawyer didn't submit some documents for months. I immediately dispensed with the swindler's services and I did all the process my self.

Last edited:
Back