What happens to a permanent residency when you leave for good?

Nice. But this is not universally applicable across all Mercosur or South American countries.
You need to search for exact rules for every country separately.
It's easier to bring passport.
Yes, the Argentina - Chile permanent resident no-passport entry is a bilateral arrangement between the two countries I believe. It's useful for nationals of countries for which Chile requires a $50 single-entry visa, like Venezuela.

I only know my experience. I was in line at Buquebus going to Colonia. Migraciones told me I could not travel with only a DNI. Fortunately I had tome to retiurn to get my passport. This was also a long time ago. I don't recommend that any PR try to leave without their passport.

Between 2008 and 2019, I travelled via Buquebus from Buenos Aires to Montevideo at leas a dozen times with only a DNI.

Perhaps it depends on your country of origin. I had no problems traveling to Uruguay with just a DNI, but for Paraguay I had to get a visa and enter with my passport (US). I know other nationalities can enter Paraguay with just an Argentine DNI.

Nice. But this is not universally applicable across all Mercosur or South American countries.
You need to search for exact rules for every country separately.
It's easier to bring passport.
Bordering countries.

Between 2008 and 2019, I travelled via Buquebus from Buenos Aires to Montevideo at leas a dozen times with only a DNI.

Perhaps it depends on your country of origin. I had no problems traveling to Uruguay with just a DNI, but for Paraguay I had to get a visa and enter with my passport (US). I know other nationalities can enter Paraguay with just an Argentine DNI.
it's dependent on your origin yes, or citizenship.

previously Brazil required a visa for US citizens. i tried to enter with my DNI and i got rejected at customs based on that, i never obtained the visa necessary since i thought i could travel with DNI.

previously Brazil required a visa for US citizens. i tried to enter with my DNI and i got rejected at customs based on that, i never obtained the visa necessary since i thought i could travel with DNI.
No. It depends on citizenship if that country is enforcing retaliation rights like it happened with the US because if you get Argentine citizenship and you go there on your AR DNI, you have no issues no matter where you have been born.

Same here. I never visited Brazil while living in Argentina. Ironically, I ended up getting a Brazilian visa while visiting Argentina. AFAIK, US citizens don't require a visa to visit Brazil anymore.

Well , after talking to the consulate I am to write them a letter with all my information and all my documents and they will send me a letter back that I am to take to immigrations in B.A. after my quarantine of course and I guess they will tell me if I am still a resident . So after all the calls I made no one can seem to tell me anything . I think I still will be but I have to reenter as a family member with all those documents. . I will give it a shot with my DNI at the airport but will have the family member info as a backup .

Well , after talking to the consulate I am to write them a letter with all my information and all my documents and they will send me a letter back that I am to take to immigrations in B.A. after my quarantine of course and I guess they will tell me if I am still a resident . So after all the calls I made no one can seem to tell me anything . I think I still will be but I have to reenter as a family member with all those documents. . I will give it a shot with my DNI at the airport but will have the family member info as a backup .
Is your dni still valid? Go on migraciones website and use the expediente number and the date of birth to see if your case is still showing. If it is you will probably be fine.

Back