What is more “third world” - Buenos Aires or San Francisco

The people who are hit hardest are the "working poor" who work full-time and can't make ends meet. Their incomes are above the ridiculously low "poverty level" so they don't qualify for the benefits I mentioned above. Obamacare forces them to pay $300+ monthly premiums for health insurance but they often don't use it because of the high annual deductibles and co-pays.
And now a judge (in TX, of course) has determined that free preventative medical exams and procedures are, somehow, "unconstitutional".

God bless Amerikkka!

SF really is Gotham City. It is really sad what the city has become and I detest all of the enablers. The SF Chronicle put out an article blaming Whole Foods for the closure of its new store, not all the criminals and government officials who enable mentally ill drug addicts to create chaos. Someone literally died in the Whole Foods bathroom from a fentanyl overdose and the city does nothing about open air drug markets. But the police will stop you in a second if they see you in a nice car with expired tags.

It's funny how the US is becoming a more chaotic, and economically and politically challenging, place to live - basically becoming like Argentina and yet Argentina is 'better'?

Being lucky enough to be retired on a US pension/ living on a secure higher than average salary and living in a nicer cosmopolitan neighborhood is not the typical Argentine experience. Spend some time in a typical barrio to see the real Argentina. Ask the average working Argentine with a family to support if they'd like to emigrate to Spain or Miami etc if given the possibility.

Are Argentines generally genuinely proud of their country and believe it's an example to follow? Most are not and are quite bemused that Americans would choose to live and work in Argentina.
when you expat, you don’t really follow the local politics as closely as you do in your home country.

Sad to see what’s happening in SF. Although here in Southern California our real estate prices are skyrocketing from all the people from Bay Area moving down here.

SF really is Gotham City. It is really sad what the city has become and I detest all of the enablers. The SF Chronicle put out an article blaming Whole Foods for the closure of its new store, not all the criminals and government officials who enable mentally ill drug addicts to create chaos. Someone literally died in the Whole Foods bathroom from a fentanyl overdose and the city does nothing about open air drug markets. But the police will stop you in a second if they see you in a nice car with expired tags.
Something I noted about your comparison. When you're in a bathroom (stall), there's a reasonable expectation of having privacy. When you're on the street/highway with your car there's absolutely no expectation that any limited privacy you might have inside your car extends to the exterior of your car where registration tags are displayed and visible to all.

I wouldn't blame the cops for not doing anything about, or preventing, someone doing drugs in a bathroom stall at a privately owned business. But I do have an expectation that they should enforce infractions that take place in public. Should that person doing drugs in the bathroom stall instead does them on the street I would expect the cops to act just as they would if they came across someone driving on the street with expired tags. A person who does drugs in bathroom stalls could probably teach the guy driving on expired plates a thing or two about keeping your actions on the downlow and out of the public eye if they're at all illegal.

I get what you're saying, and the frustration, but do you really think cops should be able to bust in on people in bathroom stalls in order to prevent someone from doing drugs? If so, how do the cops know you're doing drugs (assuming those drugs don't require combustion and give off smoke/odor) in the first place? Where's the probable cause? By how someone looks? Plenty of well dressed people who otherwise look like fine, upstanding citizens are doing drugs in bathroom stalls. Would you complain and say they were overreaching and invading your privacy if they bust in on you in order to make sure nothing illegal was going on while you were in a bathroom stall?

And just to be clear, nothing I've said above in any way endorses or condones people using fentanyl. Opiates are bad news and I hope I never have a medical need to use them because I wouldn't want to get hooked. I'm just addressing police powers and right to privacy issues. Drug addicts are not a good thing, but I don't think the solution is giving away our rights and privacy to the government/state/police. The latter, imo, is the greater of the two evils and has a worse effect on society.

the needle litter in SF is unreal.

The lack of public restrooms in the city makes people either poop on the street and seek out the private bathrooms in businesses to do their drugs.

Or in the lobby of buildings. The city itself is a failure and will come to reckoning with the lack of revenue and empty office buildings.

Back