What Is Most Impressive Restaurant In Ba For New Year's Day?

Bajo:

Could you please post any evidence you have that Don Alberto is a paid troll? I have seen here that you are accused of being a paid K troll and I have always said that those accusations are utterly ridiculous (on the contrary, I enjoy the fact that you are here and that you post an opposing point of view).

There is a common belief on both sides that "there is no way anyone could have an opinion other than mine, so they must be paid". I find this opinion horrible. There are people with various opinions (Thank Vishnu!) and any allegations that a forum member (eg, Don Alberto or you) is a paid troll should be backed up with hard evidence or withdrawn.

I was also disappointed by La Locanda, but really enjoyed Sintesis Tapas Asiaticas on the same block.

I think you may be misinterpreting my idea of impressive - I wanted a place with great ambience, preferably outside, creative-feeling overall and innovative with their food (of course with excellent service). Nothing too formal, as I mentioned. The idea was to show them an experience that would make them think “I want to live here”.

Thanks for the suggestion, but aside from being too far away and difficult to get to without a car on New Year’s Day when there were few taxis (which would have cost us at least 600 pesos r/t for seven people), I can't see a menu for My Friend David. As two of seven of us in the group were vegetarians, I don't think the rest of the group would have been happy to see us trekking all that way to be eating some french fries and a sad salad, which is often what's on offer at places like the one you describe even if the meat is excellent. If avoiding gluten and not having the stomach to eat a provoleta, we’d have had few options. Without a menu available, I'd have had to assume that this would be the case. I've been to such places and had fun, sure, but the other vegetarian in the group would have given me the side-eye the whole night if I'd taken them somewhere like that for one of their two nights in town.

I’ve never had a truly great meal while accompanying friends to a parrilla, and I’ve been to most of the ones that people seem to like. If My Friend David does offer an excellent parillada vegetariana, or if their beef is grass-fed and finished and they grow their own organic vegetables or something, please let me know and I will put it on my list!

The people I was dining with are constantly, as in monthly or so, traveling just about everywhere on the planet and enjoy excellent food regardless of context - they are well-to-do and not 'impressed' by luxury for its own sake. Additionally, I met this friend while we were at college in Berkeley. We lived close to Berkeley Bowl, a supermarket that many here are familiar with (1,000-ish kinds of fruits and veggies, most with an organic option). We are used to eating all kinds of food, from all over, in whatever context, but do insist on high quality ingredients. We are both avid cooks - if you see my postings on here, they are mostly about where to find hard-to-find foodstuffs.

The allegedly ‘farm to table’ (the norm in Berkeley) sourcing at Elena is part of the reason I chose it. The food that we experienced doesn’t come anywhere close what they promise on their website, and with seven of us each ordering three courses and sharing most of it, I think we had a pretty good sampling of their menu. I do think that if we’d been seated properly and avoided the Pony Line fiasco (the appetizers we ate there were from Elena) it would have seemed like much less of a disappointment.

Gringoboy -

Some that I think are impressive, depending on what one is expecting:

Kensho - was open, but I figured they'd kill me if I made them all eat vegan in BA :) In retrospect, I think we should have gone there.

Resto in the Sociedad de Arquitectos - was open, food is always amazing in my experience. I thought the decor was maybe a bit simple for our one meal together, but food-wise it would have been ideal.

Adentro - was A++, even for me as a vegetarian, but they are closed right now.

Milion, in the garden or on terrace upstairs - impressive if you are just having a coffee in the afternoon, or a drink and maybe some tapas, in my opinion. Main courses are not impressive and are sometimes shockingly bad.

Croque Madame at the Museo de Arte Decorativo - very impressive if taking someone for just a coffee while out on a walk, or a drink on a beautiful evening. Food not good enough, in my opinion, for what I was going for here.

Floreria Atlantico - Impressive to a visitor for a casual night out and some cocktails.

Arkakao - the only ice cream place in BA that I recommend.

El Ateneo Gran Splendid - for something to drink, never eaten food there. If all I've told someone is 'a café in a bookshop', they are impressed.

Amici Miei, private balconies for 2 - there is nowhere more impressive to take a visitor on a Sunday for lunch on a nice day, in my opinion.

Park Hyatt Palacio Duhau - Never fails to impress for a bottle out on the terrace, and they usually have an affordable bottle of something - they used to have a nice white wine for something like $6 USD.

La Vinería de Gualterio Bolivar - I've been twice and enjoyed both experiences over lots of wine with friends, but have heard it can be hit and miss.

Pura Tierra - had a lovely dinner there with some friends, plenty of wine. Only issue was that they made a mistake with all three of my first courses, and none were vegetarian (!). I caught it in time, luckily, but three times in a row is just careless - it's why I never went back.

Frank's Bar happy hour (in Algodón Mansion hotel): they used to have live jazz, so it was a great way to impress visitors, especially as the glasses of wine - from their own estates - were something like $2 USD/ glass. Was perfect with the simple, cheap food they served and the jazz in opulent surroundings.

Unik - great design, wonderful food.

Alvear Palace Hotel - I know visitors are often impressed by the afternoon tea in L'Orangerie, which includes a glass of champagne. They have a gluten free option and it is usually great value for money, as long as you don't order another glass of bubbly...

La Pecora Nera - Impressive to visitors for a spontaneous lunch while walking around the neighborhood, the lunch special is very well-priced.

Aramburu and i latina - people I know have been impressed and I can't wait to go to both. The group I went to Elena with ate at Aramburu bis and said the food was really, really terrible.

If people are genuinely interested, I'll try to think of more. I appreciate the suggestions and am looking to explore some new places this summer.

I don't post off topic.

Most of the posts i explain the law, the history and the background: That the general prosecutor is independent here or the difference of a decree and a DNU.

My intention is not to irritate neither to self censorship me because the lack of democratic values like freedom of speach of some members. If someone has hate in hid soul and becsuse of it he irritates anormally, it is not my bussiness. It is something they should talk with a professional who can solve it with some clorazepam.

It is a fact proven that the Pro was paying call centers to troll. We had some of them here: do you remember Don Alberto?

Going on topic: I went for my birthday to the restaurant at of Alvear Palace hotel about 4 years ago and there was an appetizer of 4000 pesos then.

Going off topic: the citizenship topic is over. Now everybody knows that it can be done.

Glad you agree ... However discussing citizenship on a Restaurant Thread... is trolling... jajaja
Four years ago an appetizer at the Alvear (What is an Appetizer ?, 100 grs of Beluga Caviar?with Russian Vodka maybe)) for how many people?? Sorry all so vague and without proof , no one could dispute this . Its a Provokation another form of Trolling... jajajaj
Good Luck

Rich one, you have said that about the Alvear a couple of times - I think it's important to know when to go and what to order in order to get the good value there. I have only been for the afternoon tea, which tends to be around $15 USD (no idea what it is now with the recent currency changes) including a glass of bubbly, and there is always more than enough to take home. I think that is outrageously cheap given the surroundings in L'Orangerie. I went to the Sunday brunch there once over 10 years ago, when it was all you could eat and drink for less than $35 USD, but have never eaten there otherwise. La Boutique de Jean-Paul Bondoux is a reasonably priced bakery given the quality.

Bajo:

Could you please post any evidence you have that Don Alberto is a paid troll?

Ed, it is not possible, how can i? I asserted that because he started posting in favor of the vultures founds unlimited and he disapeared as soon as the former administration settle it (that they were not going to pay no matter what).

I have seen here that you are accused of being a paid K troll and I have always said that those accusations are utterly ridiculous (on the contrary, I enjoy the fact that you are here and that you post an opposing point of view).

The problem with Macri militans is that if you are not with them, then you are a choriplanero.

Peronistas come from a totalitarian party. I m a liberal regarding civil rights so, i have not much in common with them.

When Macri asserted he was Peronista, he was accurate because the military party liked the Peronist dogmas (lack of freedom, political persecution, ethnics selection immigration, control of the press) but they just disagree with the economy plan. If you see the cleaning for political reasons the President is doing, it is very totalitarian.

So, with the Ks calls me gorila, the PROs call me choriplanero.

There is a common belief on both sides that "there is no way anyone could have an opinion other than mine, so they must be paid". I find this opinion horrible.

It is. But it was proven that the President was using call centers.

If you read the decree that the President enacted to abolish the media law, he is planning to control internet too, i mean, political paid trolling to be protected against such a usefull tool he already used.

There are people with various opinions (Thank Vishnu!) and any allegations that a forum member (eg, Don Alberto or you) is a paid troll should be backed up with hard evidence or withdrawn.

I like different opinionsand i enjoy to debate. What i disagree is with is the hate speach. There is a lot of hate among the fans of Macri.

Regarding Don Alberto, it was a very fishy case, that is why i used him as an example.

Homeinbuenosaires:
I add Dada and Bar Gran Danzon. Lomo dada or ojo de bife at the first, ceviche or lamb at the second.

Service and enviroment at both is excelent, the same with food and drinks.

Fir both is better the bar than the tables.

Glad you agree ... However discussing citizenship on a Restaurant Thread... is trolling... jajaja
Four years ago an appetizer at the Alvear (What is an Appetizer ?, 100 grs of Beluga Caviar?with Russian Vodka maybe)) for how many people?? Sorry all so vague and without proof , no one could dispute this . Its a Provokation another form of Trolling... jajajaj
Good Luck

Well, yes, it envolved russian caviar as far as I remember.

Objection your honour, speculation.

Council's arguments are mere supposition and have no concrete facts to back them up. The idea that something is "fishy" is not sufficient proof. The comments regarding whether Don Alberto or Bajo are paid trolls should therefore be stricken from the record.

Back