What is wrong with these people!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BASailor said:
As a local I could tell you "feel free to go back home".

The stupid is overwhelming for some.

If you can't enjoy this place and respect the "locals", why can't You just go home? I mean, feel free to crawl back under your rock.

Dmiller said:
My thoughts go out to all the victims families and love ones. If you idiots want to argue about nothing go do it somewhere else. Cause no one really wants to hear it. Get a life and stop being trolls. No need for names we all can see the posts.

Thank you.

The dead are dead. None of us here are responsible and none of us, regardless of what we think about guns or America, can bring them back. We will all post whatever we want if it makes us feel better...just like you.

We're all happy it didn't happen to us or anyone we know.

steveinbsas said:
Now that we know you're from here please tell us why you are posting here?

Perhaps you are just one of the latest "locals" who have invaded this EXPAT site to tell foreigners who are trying to find solutions to problems living here to go home.

And I have serious doubts that anyone who says "I'm a local" here really is.

The Argentines I know would never use that expression.

I find that term "locals" so weird. It reminds me of the professor on Giligan's Island when he used to talk about the head shrinking native islanders. I agree, nobody here would ever refer to themselves that way. When I am talking about someone or people born here I just say "Argentine" or "Argentines" that is the way they refer to themselves, "Argentino/a" or "Argentinos/as". Nobody would say "Él o Ella es local" they would say "Él o Ella es Argentino/a". Be courteous when referring to the people in your adopted country. It's the right thing to do.

Davidglen77 said:
I find that term "locals" so weird. It reminds me of the professor on Giligan's Island when he used to talk about the head shrinking native islanders. I agree, nobody here would ever refer to themselves that way. When I am talking about someone or people born here I just say "Argentine" or "Argentines" that is the way they refer to themselves, "Argentino/a" or "Argentinos/as". Nobody would say "Él o Ella es local" they would say "Él o Ella es Argentino/a". Be courteous when referring to the people in your adopted country. It's the right thing to do.

In previous (ancient) post I wrote about how ski bums in Park City and Aspen referred to themselves as "locals" to get discounts in local stores.

It is a term so foreign to Argentina that I suspect anyone who uses it is not from Argentina.

If they are they are just too hip for their own good when trying to make their point.

LOL. In my introduction I stated I am a local.
It would not occur to me to say I'm argentino here, since basically it goes without saying. Would make more sense to me to use the word "local" as opposed to someone from another province or location but not to indicate my country of origin.
Hardly ever use the word "porteño", may say "de Capital", "de Recoleta" etc. Basically, pinpointing the area.

thread_direction_2.gif

Iznogud said:
LOL. In my introduction I stated I am a local.
It would not occur to me to say I'm argentino here, since basically it goes without saying. Would make more sense to me to use the word "local" as opposed to someone from another province or location but not to indicate my country of origin.
Hardly ever use the word "porteño", may say "de Capital", "de Recoleta" etc. Basically, pinpointing the area.

THIS IS A FOREIGN EXPAT WEBSITE IN ENGLISH!

That means what we (as native speakers of English) mean exactly what we say (or write)`when we speak English...unless we are in error.

Even though I have lived in Argentina for six years I would never refer to myself as a local.

In each and every case it is an inappropriate term to describe either a native or a foreign visitor because it is imprecise (vague), to say the least.

Nevertheless, that's how I'd put it. :p

By "here", I didn't mean this board. I ment generally speaking.,

nicoenarg said:
Guns also save lives (http://articles.latimes.com/2007/dec/11/nation/na-shoot11) but I guess that doesn't get people to cry out "enact laws that make buying guns necessary for everyone".

Well lets start a tally of the numbers of lives saved by unregulated guns versus the numbers lost then shall we ..

Lady in LA with gun saves how many ? Wait a moment she was a Security Guard so was regulated and licenced so you dont see any distinction there. That's curious.

Ah also Lady says "I just prayed to the Holy Spirit to guide me," d at a packed news conference Monday. "I give the credit to God. This has got to be God, because of the firepower he had versus what I have."

So people need Guns to carry out "God's Work" I see.

Curious it wasnt God who stopped in the first place?

But leaving divine intervention aside lets start the count.

Guns took lives Guns saved lives Running Total
xxx xxx xxx

Please feel free to count up and add to these columns either left or right!

Nicoenarg care to start completing this?

Yes!! Let's ban all guns by law. That will cure mental illness at once and for all.

However sad it may sound it is pure statistics. In a population of 400 million you are bound to find a few psychopaths. And not all psychopaths kill. But I believe it came from within his twisted mind, had he not used a gun he would have used a baseball bat.
Psychopath, noun a person with a psychopathic personality, which manifests as amoral and antisocial behavior, lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, extreme egocentricity, failure to learn from experience, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy
Unless his mother who seemed to know him well, had alerted officials, it could not have been stopped. But rarely does a mother go against her own child.

My thoughts and sympathies are with the family members. May they find a way to heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back