what phone to buy?

shighland

Registered
Hello fellow ex-pats!

I just moved to BA and I was wondering what you all do for phones. I won't use my old U.S. plan because it's too expensive; is it feasible to sign a plan here? I have an iPhone and I'd like to be able to use it if at all possible, but I know there are other options. What would you suggest? I'm only interested in calling/texting locally, I use skype to reach the U.S.

Thank you!

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

You can go to almost any phone store and get a cheap phone here for a bit more than 200 pesos. They will sell you a sim card for 5 or 10 pesos. That gives you a phone number for a pay as you go plan that you can recharge at any kiosco.

If you use your phone a lot, that's more expensive than a phone plan, but you need a DNI for a plan I believe.

Regarding the iPhone, I believe using the internet is quite expensive for pay as you go. Also, be careful with that thing. It looks like a lot of money to people. It might get snatched out of your hand on the street or get you followed out of a bar by people that want to rob you. Check mercadolibre for how much an iPhone sells for here, just so you know.

If you need your phone unlocked, there's a guy on this site named the MacDaddy (use the search tool to find him) who does tech stuff for Apple products. He's from New York. I believe he unlocks iPhones. I had him come over to my house and work on my laptop. He did excellent work and is very trustworthy.

Have a great time in BA!

Back