What should I bring?

Marche exile

Registered
Hi there.
As I am already an expat in Italy and am used to having to stock up in the UK for taken for granted items such as Paracetamol because they 15p a packet back in the UK and the same packet here is 10 euros. I suddenly thought what should I be stockpiling and bringing to BA?
Any suggestions that you may think of will be truly welcomed.
Thanks, Rosina.

Paracetamol is slightly more expensive in BA than the UK but not worth using valuable suitcase space for. Some things that you might want to consider include makeup (not a great range in BA and much more expensive), any toiletries that you like that don't fall into the basic Dove, Pantene, Nivea type range, perfume, applicator tampons, a stockpile of basic clothes - tops, jeans, etc (generally clothing is very expensive and not great quality), a decent garlic press (!), any food stuffs you like (spices, nice chocolate, etc - I bring PG tips and mustard!).

Dare I add: Marmite and peanut butter, Chocolate is expensive and Galaxy Cadbury's unavailable. Oh and drinking chocolate.

It might be a good idea for you to make a huge list of things that you "can't live without." ;) Then we could tell you how readily available they are here in Argentina.

Bring lots of clothes if you're going to be here awhile. :)

Rosina, I would also suggest stocking up on any electronics that you think you may need for as long as your here, you will find them surprisingly more expensive due to high import taxes.

trennod said:
Rosina, I would also suggest stocking up on any electronics that you think you may need for as long as your here, you will find them surprisingly more expensive due to high import taxes.

I don't know how other Europeans feel about the price of electronic goods in Argentina but, speaking as a Brit used to high prices in the UK, I honestly don't find Argentine prices particularly high. I suspect that it's mainly those from the USA who feel hard done by but I'd be interested in the opinions of other Europeans.

What to bring from Italy to BA? COFFEE. Dear god, stock up on as much Illy and Lavazza as you can fit into your suitcase. And good chocolate (Argentine chocolate is a fraction of European quality for about 4 times the price... and dark just doesn't exist.)

In general, life is is still cheaper here then it is in Europe. Some things are cheaper, some are more expensive. Some things are better here, some things are worse.

What I regret not bringing is a dishwasher, I have been doing some research (asked everyone who has one) and they all say they practically have to wash the dishes by hand before they put the plates in the dishwasher...
Another thing is a (what we call an) "American" fridge. You know, half freezer, half fridge, Connected to the tap and water/ice in the door? They cost like 3 or 4 times the price... If you find one, that is.

There are a lot of things that I buy here that are scandalously expensive, like nutela and la vache qui rit, or products from certain brands (Roc, or Vichy), because when I come from europe, my suitcase is full of things I can not buy here, and that I really miss.

So that is probably the best way : make a list of the things you need/love, and we can tell you if you need to bring them or not. :)

starlucia said:
What to bring from Italy to BA? COFFEE. Dear god, stock up on as much Illy and Lavazza as you can fit into your suitcase. And good chocolate (Argentine chocolate is a fraction of European quality for about 4 times the price... and dark just doesn't exist.)

There is some real good chocolate here in BA, believe me! I know! I am Belgian! :D and addicted!

Back