What should we bring?

good curry, asafoetida, peanut butter and maple syrup are all high-value low-volume barter items among the "stranded" community.

pressure cookers (?) well there's a whole other thread on the subject.

books? buy a kindle, and once you're down here... learn to live with downloads (or simply purchase the file :) )

@Steve, are your current puppies related to your Mexican dog?
You know there's a tradition that when you have cute animals in real life, you upload them to the internet for everyone to enjoy! it's not necessarily a Communistic or feline practice,

Hey Matt, thanks. I did post some photos of the pups shortly after they were born on my facebook page, but I stopped posting the link here after someone tried to steal my identity (and access my bank accounts). Unfortunately my "Mexican" chihuahua (who was from Chicago) went to puppy heaven last July at the age of 15. She took her last breath as I held her in my arms. If I can get the new pups to be still long enough to take photosI will post them soon.

I will post photos of the pups as soon as they stay still long enough. No, they are not related to Stella but they almost fill the void she left last year after 15 years of unconditional puppy love.

If you want to be happy in Argentina don't bring much unless you plan to return once or twice a year to buy clothes, peanut butter, blue corn chips, chili powder, tumeric, Montreal Steak Seasoning, accessories for your Kitchen Aid mixer and Cuisinart, decent coffee at reasonable prices, books in English, quality sheets and towels, a flour sifter, any Bodum or Alessi products, a 3M hand sanding block, an anti-freeze testor,a Peugeot pepper grinder, etc, etc, etc.

My advice is to forget Buenos Aires and instead consider Cordoba or Mendoza. The cost of living is less, both cities are safer and people are nicer.

Somebody said "pot!!"? Yes bring your pot, it'll help you survive here without running the risk of driving you crazy! :p

You'll probably wish you had brought everything.. but that's just not practical. :p And actually if you do try to bring everything, you'll wish you hadn't! (Dealing with airport/port freight and customs is a nightmare.)

I'd say bring the indispensable stuff that you know you love and need (and that is hard to find or too expensive here.) Even if you bring your pots and pans, you'll wish you had brought your stove... it's endless, you really need to decide what's most important to you and practical to bring.

Also keep in mind that art can be tricky - perhaps not getting it in, but getting it out.

You can never bring too many socks or underwear, especially if you're staying for the long haul. :)

Don't, whatever you do, show up here for the first time with all your stuff in a container.

1. Come first for 2 weeks. Bring a suitcase.

Check out the neighborhoods, go to the supermarkets, try and get a handle on your life here.

2. If you like it, come next for at least 3 months. Bring 3 large suitcases.

Bring clothes, counter top appliences etc. Rent a place in the neighborhood of your choosing. Live as though you were living here permanently. At the end of your stay start scouting properties.

3. Begin the process to buy/rent here. Liquidate your home and stuff you dont need anymore in the states and load up half a shipping container with everything else. Car, plates, silverware, clothes, appliances, life. Put old stuff in new place.

4. Live happily ever after.

Back