What To Wear Day To Day!!

The younger crowd wear a lot of shorts and short skirts as well as calzas (tights?) that sometimes leave little to the imagination. Crop top shirts, translucent shirts, loose t-shirts (bras hanging out in plain sight through the arm hole or even the neck), etc.

You could probably wear just about anything here and feel comfortable because someone is probably wearing it.

My girls almost all wear platform shoes because of the broken, uneven sidewalks, but they also wear heels sometimes, particularly when going out, even if it involves walking over uneven paving and climbing in and out of buses.

It's been my experience, and those of my wife and our girls, that men here will hoot and whistle at any reasonably good-looking woman, no matter what they're wearing. Doesn't even seem to matter much if the woman is with someone - I've walked arm-in-arm with my wife crossing 9 de julio and had a taxi driver stopped at Santa Fe literally hanging out of his car window, honking his horn and decrying how lovely my wife was. She was wearing modest shorts (i.e., no cheeks hanging out) and a modest blouse. My oldest sister-in-law that lives with us almost stopped going out for a run in the afternoons, even in cold weather and dressed in loose sweats, because she was propositioned by one after another guy running there too...

I was walking down Santa Fe on the Retiro side of 9 de julio and watched a street guy (late teens/early twenties) come up to an older woman (probably in her 50s, slender and good-looking, dressed in a pant-suit outfit - they were both approaching me and my oldest sister-in-law) put his arm across her shoulders and start trying to kiss her cheek. I stopped them and told the guy to get lost and my sister-in-law almost had a fit that I was getting involved...then had another woman come up to us afterwards and say I was crazy for trying to get involved!

Catcalls are tolerated here by everyone, even though they don't like it - my wife is about the only woman I've seen here telling guys off when they go too far across the line...just be prepared.

is it acceptable for women to walk around during the day wearing a mini skirt for example? or a tight top? crop top?shorts? "revealing"stuff like that :wub:

i know i can probably wear anything but i mean is it unsafe or not recommended? is there a lot of harassment on the streets?
do girls usually dress in heels during the day too? Im coming from Lebanon and girls are very stylish here but i just want to make sure i'm realistic about my packing :) i dont want to stand out too much from the locals.

see attachment for example..
any help is appreciated!

Hazar

If you wore that outfit in Buenos Aires you would definitely get comments; from both men and women. If you don't want that kind of attention but you still want to be stylish then go with shorts/chinos, a loose summer top, and either flats or kitten heels. Anything more than 2" slingbacks and jeans in the middle of the day will garner you attention. Of course, that IS my favorite look. :)

Love the Argentine men...... When a hot girl walks by they actually think that they can get them. Only in their dreams...........

Maybe they think it's the numbers game. You know, a guy goes to a bar and gets shot down 999 times and the the thousandth one is feeling randy that night and he's successful.

However, like many things with a logical base here, they don't seem to realize that random women walking down the street are not as likely to bite as a woman going to a bar who might be more inclined, after a few drinks...so the numbers turn into one in a million and it takes their entire lifetime to find one women who bites while on the street - if ever. Heh.

I believe it's the outpouring of machismo that "requires" them to act like that, not any real thought that they might get lucky.

My oldest sister-in-law (19 in January) tells me that women here dress for other women, not the guys so much. Her friends confirm this to me as well. And I've been walking down the street with her and her sisters (including my wife) and seen females from their teens to their 80s look the girls up and down unabashedly, as if comparing what they're wearing to what my girls are wearing.

My oldest sister-in-law (19 in January) tells me that women here dress for other women, not the guys so much. Her friends confirm this to me as well. And I've been walking down the street with her and her sisters (including my wife) and seen females from their teens to their 80s look the girls up and down unabashedly, as if comparing what they're wearing to what my girls are wearing.
ElQueso, you are one very observant. I would feel sorry for the young fellah whom be dating your own daughter.
Father's ever scrutinizing eyes !

Thanks for all the input.
Well to be honest I wouldn't wear that outfit in the middle of the day but I wanted to see how far I can go with an outfit haha. I'm used to catcalls it's very common in Lebanon as well, so I know how it is.
Some of you said it rains in the summer? Should I bring boots for this?

ElQueso-san, you are one very observant. I would feel sorry for the young fellah whom be dating your own daughter.
Father's ever scrutinizing eyes !

Hehe. My sisters-in-law are every bit as much my daughters as well as my one daughter by blood back in the States :)

Our 19-year-old used to try to tell us that here it is the height of embarrassment (que verguenza!) when I insisted that the fella who comes to pick her up for a date come up to the apartment and meet us. According to her, parents don't insist on meeting the boy who's taking out their daughter until they have the "title" of girlfriend (apparently there are some rules relating to exactly how that comes to pass).

Sure as hell didn't stop me :) At least when she was still in high school. As an adult it's much more difficult and worrying...

However, I've always treated the boys who came ringing for my girls with respect and sympathy. I was young once, I understand exactly what they're after, and have good, open relationships with my girls when it comes to talking about such things, so I trust my girls - just not so much the boys :) I need to look into their eyes and figure out just how worried I need to be...

Thanks for all the input.
Well to be honest I wouldn't wear that outfit in the middle of the day but I wanted to see how far I can go with an outfit haha. I'm used to catcalls it's very common in Lebanon as well, so I know how it is.
Some of you said it rains in the summer? Should I bring boots for this?

I don't think it rains that much in summer itself. Mostly spring and fall, seems to me. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a pair for when it does rain. With the tiles on the walks often being loose, when it does rain, the water gets caught underneath the tiles and when you step on a loose one the water will soak whatever foot gear you're wearing.

Hehe. My sisters-in-law are every bit as much my daughters as well as my one daughter by blood back in the States :)

Our 19-year-old used to try to tell us that here it is the height of embarrassment (que verguenza!) when I insisted that the fella who comes to pick her up for a date come up to the apartment and meet us. According to her, parents don't insist on meeting the boy who's taking out their daughter until they have the "title" of girlfriend (apparently there are some rules relating to exactly how that comes to pass).

Sure as hell didn't stop me :) At least when she was still in high school. As an adult it's much more difficult and worrying...

However, I've always treated the boys who came ringing for my girls with respect and sympathy. I was young once, I understand exactly what they're after, and have good, open relationships with my girls when it comes to talking about such things, so I trust my girls - just not so much the boys :) I need to look into their eyes and figure out just how worried I need to be...

Ha,ha,haaa. A Boy always wanting to be the first one in her life, the Girl possibly imagining to be his last girl in his life. Amen!

Yes, I would bring sturdy rain boots and a very strong umbrella, when it rains here it often rains hard and you get soaked without them.

Back