What To Wear Day To Day!!

Newsflash: Not all Muslim women wear veils or hijab. A statement like that would be parallel to me assuming you wear a kimono because you are japanese.

Islam is practiced and interpreted to varying degrees of conservatism all over the world. Just because a woman isn't wearing hijab doesn't mean she's not a muslim. And just because a woman wears hijab doesn't mean that she isn't dressed in the latest european fashion under her manteau. A little less stereotyping would be nice.

I do, I do wear Kimonos. That is odd, all Muslim women I have known, all wearing Hijabs...But perhaps diffrent in Indonesia Muslims to
the middle eastern Muslims. As matter of fact, I have asked my Paletinean friends with whom I had that delicious mixed meat dish last week, and they all said, all true Muslim women wears the Hijabs? Perhaps they are all wrong.? Hmmm??

But found this info, so my friends are not telling me the truth:
=====================================================================================================
For centuries, Islamic scholars have said that Muslim women must cover their hair. But many Muslim women don't.
There are about 1 million Muslim women in America; 43 percent of them wear headscarves all the time, according to the Pew Research Center. About 48 percent — or half a million women — don't cover their hair, the survey found.
The split between women who've covered and women who've never done so has existed for decades. But now a generation of women is taking off the headscarf, or hijab.
Although the scarf is a public, sometimes even political symbol, women say the choice to unveil is highly private, emotional and religious.

all true Muslim women wears the Hijabs?

100% Wrong!

Their is nothing wrong in being a muslim, have faith in God and not wear Hijab and "not be" ashamed of your femineness or beauty or sexiness. And walk shoulder to shoulder with the man and look up in his eyes.

What you heard is total bollocks!

India has perhaps the biggest number of muslims in the whole world if not the 2nd highest and perhaps less than 5% of Muslim women wear a hijab there

100% Wrong!

Their is nothing wrong in being a muslim, have faith in God and not wear Hijab and "not be" ashamed of your femineness or beauty or sexiness. And walk shoulder to shoulder with the man and look up in his eyes.

What you heard is total bollocks!

India has perhaps the biggest number of muslims in the whole world if not the 2nd highest and perhaps less than 5% of Muslim women wear a hijab there
I always thought that India's majority religion is the Hinduism and prevalent to greater than 80 % of the entire religion?
Perhaps you meant, Indonesia?

According to the 2001 census,[sup][1][/sup] 80.5% of the population of India practice Hinduism...
Hinduism is the dominant religion, or way of life,[sup][1][/sup][sup][note 1][/sup] of the Indian subcontinent, and consists of many diverse traditions. It includes Shaivism, Vaishnavism and Shaktism[sup][2][/sup] among numerous other traditions, and a wide spectrum of laws and prescriptions of "daily morality" based on karma, dharma, and societal norms. Hinduism is a categorisation of distinct intellectual or philosophical points of view, rather than a rigid, common set of beliefs

I always thought that India's majority religion is the Hinduism and prevalent to greater than 80 % of the entire religion?
Perhaps you meant, Indonesia?

According to the 2001 census,[sup][1][/sup] 80.5% of the population of India practice Hinduism...
Hinduism is the dominant religion, or way of life,[sup][1][/sup][sup][note 1][/sup] of the Indian subcontinent, and consists of many diverse traditions. It includes Shaivism, Vaishnavism and Shaktism[sup][2][/sup] among numerous other traditions, and a wide spectrum of laws and prescriptions of "daily morality" based on karma, dharma, and societal norms. Hinduism is a categorisation of distinct intellectual or philosophical points of view, rather than a rigid, common set of beliefs

You are right and wrong.

as per India's constitution, India calls itself a "seculiar" state. It means, all religons are treated equally without prejudice.

yes, primarly they have people practicing 'Hinduism".

However, the number of people practicing 'Islam" as a religon is the biggest ever in the whole world, perhaps 2nd only to Indonesia or even more. I am talking about the gross total and not the percentage.

You are right and wrong.

as per India's constitution, India calls itself a "seculiar" state. It means, all religons are treated equally without prejudice.

yes, primarly they have people practicing 'Hinduism".

However, the number of people practicing 'Islam" as a religon is the biggest ever in the whole world, perhaps 2nd only to Indonesia or even more. I am talking about the gross total and not the percentage.

Mi gran Amigo Ceviche, what an eloquent way to put it! Another lesson learnt...I'm hoping you be there
when I arrive in December!

Hybrid ambassador and ceviche!

Nice debate. Ill be very honest: I grew up Muslim but only conservative Muslims wear the veil etc. it is a choice , although religious scholars say it's an obligation.. Well anyway my family is not conservative. And me personally I am more of an agnostic, but ceviche is correct about the facts.

Hybrid ambassador, I am very intrigued to meet you as we'll as ceviche now, you seem to have an interesting relationship on this forum.

Ill be PM'ing you in December.

Haha, I agree, the platform shoes here I personally find horrible. Yes, the person gets to be taller but it just looks weird to me. Of course everyone can wear whatever they wear but the calzas with the platform shoes is not a look I like. I wear lots of shorts, dresses and skirts in the summer, and I feel I see plenty of women in rather short shorts or skirts. But like others have said, you can never go wrong with jeans and a top.

As for rainboots, only bring them if you plan to stay for quite some time, because they take up lots of space and are usually not comfortable to walk around in.

You mean like these awful Wizard of Oz platform shoes that are so popular now?

IMG_0487.jpg

Hybrid Ambassador -- it all depends on how conservative one is. Having travelled extensively through Turkey, Jordan, Syria, Egypt I can tell you dress varies extemely between metropolitan areas vs small towns, between upper class and lower (poorer classes tending to be more conservative). In many areas of the Middle East you can stand on a corner and have a woman with no veil and very European dress on one side and another in full hijab on the other side.

It also depends on if the country you are in has Sharia law and if so, how strictly it is enforced (many countries have a more relaxed interpretation, though in many areas ie Brunei, Malaysia, Syria, things are becoming increasingly strict). For instance, in Indonesia it depends on where you are, Jakarta is a mix of everything but in Banda Aceh province Sharia law is really very strict.

My oldest sister-in-law (19 in January) tells me that women here dress for other women, not the guys so much. Her friends confirm this to me as well. And I've been walking down the street with her and her sisters (including my wife) and seen females from their teens to their 80s look the girls up and down unabashedly, as if comparing what they're wearing to what my girls are wearing.

I think this is true in most places. Girls tend to see eachother as competition, so the idea is to always look better than the rest. As i read somewhere 'if women would dress for men, we would just walk around naked'.

I have come to understand this, over time - I just wish women would quit blaming men for their fashion problems, like falling off of high heels and the time it takes them to put on makeup, etc :D And I've tried to tell my girls many times I think they are much more beautiful natural than with their faces painted. (I know all guys don't agree with me anyway, and not all women fall into that category either).

It is refreshing to see women begin to admit that they do it to themselves for the competition, not to attract men hehe.

And as far as women walking around naked for men - I hope that never happens simply because it would all become so boring. I'd hate to wake up one day and realize that all the mystery is gone...

Back