What To Wear Day To Day!!

Thanks for all the input.
Well to be honest I wouldn't wear that outfit in the middle of the day but I wanted to see how far I can go with an outfit haha. I'm used to catcalls it's very common in Lebanon as well, so I know how it is.
Some of you said it rains in the summer? Should I bring boots for this?

I'm a guy but thought I would give a maybe younger perspective. Catcalls are inevitable however many girls dress like that during the day or at night depending but fashion amongst portenos is very important and they always have to be presentable when leaving the house. However they will never wear heels so leave those. Platform shoes are what is popular. Everyone wears them http://www.rickysarkany.com/sofia/zapatos.html is an example. Rain boots are common and you will see many people wearing the Hunter Boot version from the UK. Hippy like clothing is also very popular these days with such as brands like Rapsodia. In a way the fashion feels very California and LA.

Yeah, you're right, the shoe you linked to is very common here.

I was thinking of these (as well as other styles, but huge platform, short boots):

Monster-02.jpg

They seem to have come into style this year and, of course, were mostly worn in the winter :)

As far as heels and getting on buses - I've always thought the same thing and when the girls go out, I always give them a hard time about wearing them...

Two of my sisters-in-law (18 and 16) are about 170 cm tall, which for here is a bit above average and they still like to wear these huge platforms. Apparently they are the rage at UADE and the collegiate crowd. They make the girls taller than (or at least as tall as) me!

But I like the zuecos you linked to much more!

Yeah at Belgrano its the same! And the now with the summer the heel is on the sandals too!

Yeah, I saw also doctor marteen's like models. I have always wondered how much do they weigh!

I still have to figure out why girls can wear miniskirts as uniforms. They are thin, tall, long-legged, with mini-skirts just below their bottom... seriously, they look like some hentai character.
In Italy 1) they wouldn't be allowed to enter the school (un)dressed like that 2) they would probably get raped while going to school 3) I don't know how many parents would be comfortable in sending out their daughter looking like a bait for a pedophile.
Still shocked. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yeah, after having raised kids (including a daughter) in the States, I was in for a culture shock when it came to raising young ladies here.

The girls always wear their skirts high on purpose and often get away with it at school. They're supposed to be down near their knees but the older they get, the higher they go. And I don't think it's because they wear the same skirts year after year - if so, it's just an excuse. Heh.

I've often accompanied the girls on errands after school and it creeps me out the way so many guys (up to guys who could barely lift their heads they were so stooped!) just stare at them - even when they're with their "father"!

But they have to wear those skirts even in the coldest of weather (they can wear long socks, of course, but that's not always enough) except on phys. ed. days when they can wear sweat pants. And of course, now that it's getting hot, there's another month or so of shorts once or twice a week...

Yeah, you're right, the shoe you linked to is very common here.

I was thinking of these (as well as other styles, but huge platform, short boots):

Monster-02.jpg

They seem to have come into style this year and, of course, were mostly worn in the winter :)

As far as heels and getting on buses - I've always thought the same thing and when the girls go out, I always give them a hard time about wearing them...

Two of my sisters-in-law (18 and 16) are about 170 cm tall, which for here is a bit above average and they still like to wear these huge platforms. Apparently they are the rage at UADE and the collegiate crowd. They make the girls taller than (or at least as tall as) me!

But I like the zuecos you linked to much more!

these are indeed FRANKENSTEIN shoes.
i wouldnt wear them in a million years haha.. i was thinking more like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wedge+shoes&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8RprVNj3H47paMTNgugM&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1440&bih=756#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=cjgRzItIQyWqmM%253A%3BmCf6KYNNiklqCM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fstylewile.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2014%252F08%252FWedge-Sandals-4.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fstylewile.com%252Fwedge-sandals%252F%3B380%3B373

something more elegant.

but thank you for the info! now i know what to expect! in the end, its all personal style and taste, dont mean to offend anyone :)

I have been to your area of the world. While women are beautiful and take good care of themselves, it is too much make up, tight clothes and colors for this culture. When women prefer to have a more naturally beautiful look does not make them less feminine. It is all in the eyes of the beholder.

Rule of thumb, when you are not in your land you rather have a lower profile until you understand what is going on.

As usual, In Rome you must do like the Romans

Supercharged, this is exactly why I started this thread.
I said in my post that I want to blend in and not stand out (freakishly). I never said that less makeup is less feminine, I said less is more, as long as you look good :) beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as you said. Different cultures have varying tolerances and while Lebanon is a bit over the top in dress up and makeup, it's as thru say: you can never be overdressed or over educated

Samra2 can not be a Muslim, see no veils on her pics such as following.

Newsflash: Not all Muslim women wear veils or hijab. A statement like that would be parallel to me assuming you wear a kimono because you are japanese.

Islam is practiced and interpreted to varying degrees of conservatism all over the world. Just because a woman isn't wearing hijab doesn't mean she's not a muslim. And just because a woman wears hijab doesn't mean that she isn't dressed in the latest european fashion under her manteau. A little less stereotyping would be nice.

Supercharged, this is exactly why I started this thread.
I said in my post that I want to blend in and not stand out (freakishly). I never said that less makeup is less feminine, I said less is more, as long as you look good :) beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as you said. Different cultures have varying tolerances and while Lebanon is a bit over the top in dress up and makeup, it's as thru say: you can never be overdressed or over educated

I don't think you will stand out as long as you don't wear lots of jewelry (or at least not a lot of real or expensive looking jewelry). People tend to wear more costume jewelry / beads etc here just because of robberies. I have a gorgeous wedding ring my father gave to my mum years ago and it sits in the closet, I wear a titanium band instead. In the summer it is hot and humid here -- though I think Beirut gets so as well no? Buenos Aires in Jan/Feb is like the Red Sea in August :S which I've done. The humidity can be overwhelming. In the past few years it's basically not gone under 35 degrees celsius between 30 November and 1 March. In the evening yes but the humidity stays around. So think sleeveless tops, loose dresses maxi or mini, skirts, sandals I do wear cork soled wedges but like many others on here I've given up on stilettos unless we are going to be parking within a block of the restaurant! it's a pain to walk. Heels that have a thicker heel work better, also I prefer ones with a platform not for height but as a shock absorber on the terrible sidewalks!

I think what "Supercharged" meant is that in Buenos Aires you will see a lot of women with over the top makeup, clothes that are too tight for them. Women who are in their 40s and 50s and beyond often continue to dress the same as a 20 or 30 yr old, with some pretty horrible results!

The picture you showed was perfectly fine. You'll be fine. Anyway I always follow the rule of thumb, pack what you think you need then take a few things out, leave yourself a little space, you can always buy something here if necessary.

these are indeed FRANKENSTEIN shoes.
i wouldnt wear them in a million years haha.. i was thinking more like this:

https://www.google.c...dals%2F;380;373

something more elegant.

but thank you for the info! now i know what to expect! in the end, its all personal style and taste, dont mean to offend anyone :)
Haha, I agree, the platform shoes here I personally find horrible. Yes, the person gets to be taller but it just looks weird to me. Of course everyone can wear whatever they wear but the calzas with the platform shoes is not a look I like. I wear lots of shorts, dresses and skirts in the summer, and I feel I see plenty of women in rather short shorts or skirts. But like others have said, you can never go wrong with jeans and a top.

As for rainboots, only bring them if you plan to stay for quite some time, because they take up lots of space and are usually not comfortable to walk around in.

As for rainboots, only bring them if you plan to stay for quite some time, because they take up lots of space and are usually not comfortable to walk around in.

And you can buy a cheap pair here for about 300pesos

Back