What We Like About Argentina

Are you confusing cab drives with remise drivers? "Really put places like (in my experience) Paris, Montreal and Boston to shame"
I must have have been in the wrong Paris.

Nope - remis drivers in Paris are no problem and often outstanding. They're fine in BA too from my experience.
But having taken dozens of hailed/called taxi rides in BA, and plenty in Paris, I'll take the former 99 times out of 100.

Universally, I've had lousy taxi experiences in Paris every time I've visited, years apart. Hailing a cab is very hard, the taxi stands are rarely occupied, most drivers have no idea where anything but the most major sites are, many refuse fares for inexplicable reasons, and getting the run-around/long road rip-off seems to be more common than anywhere else I've personally been. It never helps that I've usually come there from London a few days prior - especially when the cost is pretty comparable as I recall.

In comparison, I've had all of two bad taxi rides in BA. One misheard an intersection and dropped us a few blocks away, and one grouch.

I'm glad that at least someone has had positive experiences with taxis in Paris, because my own experience and that of colleagues I've talked to about it has been universally negative. Wonderful city in so many other ways, but yikes.

I like the long and uncluttered roads outside BA and the totally different attitude of the country people the further you get away from the capital.
I suppose that's because I'm not a city boy anyway and recent trips on the bike to Chivilcoy and San Nicolas were wonderful in that respect.
As far as the police enforcing laws, pull the other one. Their basic attitude is: if the vehicle you drive looks like you can afford the fine or bribe, you're nicked.
They certainly don't enforce some pretty basic laws like wearing a crash helmet and/or an entire family of seven, including pets, transporting themselves on a moped.

As far as the police enforcing laws, pull the other one. Their basic attitude is: if the vehicle you drive looks like you can afford the fine or bribe, you're nicked.

Compare & contrast:

Back in the day I used to drive an unpainted, dented '75 De Ville, and for work would have to drive up I-5 in San Diego County (California). I would regularly get pulled over for no reason. Of course, once the CHP would realise that, in spite of my eclectic taste in cars, I am neither black nor mexican, they would let me go without a ticket and a mumbled excuse about checking safety lights or something or other. (One actually gave me a ticket for, get this: "worn shocks" which has to be a record for scraping the barrel.)

I guess the take away is that police profile everywhere, it's just that, for better or worse, the target is different here.

Fair point Ed.
So if I grow one of those drooping Mexicano moustaches and drive around San Diego looking all Pancho Villa, I might get pulled?

Compare & contrast:

Back in the day I used to drive an unpainted, dented '75 De Ville, and for work would have to drive up I-5 in San Diego County (California). I would regularly get pulled over for no reason. Of course, once the CHP would realise that, in spite of my eclectic taste in cars, I am neither black nor mexican, they would let me go without a ticket and a mumbled excuse about checking safety lights or something or other. (One actually gave me a ticket for, get this: "worn shocks" which has to be a record for scraping the barrel.)

I guess the take away is that police profile everywhere, it's just that, for better or worse, the target is different here.
I have a Maori friend back in NZ who often had to drive around in the work car, a lovely BMW. He said that without fail, every single journey he would be pulled over because the police profiling says it's odd for a Maori to drive a beemer, therefore it must be stolen. Luckily he was a great guy with a great sense of humour.

The only thing I really like about my country is our ability to find a momentarily, unsteady but kind of useful fix to any kind of problem with the most rudimentary tools (Oh, alambre, how would our lives be without you?) But then, I really hate that to us "momentarily" means "forever".

I've never met you in person GB, but I suspect your chances of passing for a Mexican are about as high as my chances of someday buying an Audi R8.

You should be able to find one of those on the nac y pop version of Craigslist.

I've never met you in person GB, but I suspect your chances of passing for a Mexican are about as high as my chances of someday buying an Audi R8.
Sorry Ed. Argentina is the wrong place to be driving an R8. Stick with the Falcon.

The only thing I really like about my country is our ability to find a momentarily, unsteady but kind of useful fix to any kind of problem with the most rudimentary tools (Oh, alambre, how would our lives be without you?) But then, I really hate that to us "momentarily" means "forever".
I can really relate to that Adrian.
I repair PC's for a living and getting a few more years out of a box makes all the difference.
Also. if we can't find a spare part for certain components...bikes. PC's, cars etc..it can be fashioned out of an old washing machine.
I like that.

Back