What We Like About Argentina

I like how the Farmacias work, and the general competence of the pharmacists. I walked in to a local farmacia on Friday with an empty tube of athlete's foot cream that I'd brought from the states. The pharmacist looked at it, nodded her head once, and vanished behind the counter. In about 15 seconds, she was back with both a tube of cream and a bottle of powder, both containing the exact same active ingredient at the same concentration. I bought both cream and powder, and paid a total price less than what I'd have paid for the cream alone in the States. Oh, and I had waited less than a minute to speak with the pharmacist.

I like the competence of the taxi drivers, and the fact that I can carry on a conversation with them. In San Diego that's usually only possible if you speak either Arabic or Pashto.

I like having a butcher who actually behaves like a butcher.

I like that I can have two cups of coffee, two medialunas, and agua sin gas for less than yuppies would pay for their nonfat decaf soy latte at a Starbucks in San Diego.

I love the fact that BsAs has so many bookstores!

Overall, me encanta la Argentina.

Argentine women tend to be more graceful and delicate. I've seen women in the Stayes or in many other countries that make sexy look vulgar or crass; often wearing heels and walking like a truck driver and cursing like a sailor. I have to hand it to Argentine women, and men for that matter, they're more refined (not all of them) in their movement and they're way of being. And this doesn't have to do with make-up, heels or ties and nice suits. It has to do with onda.

Argentine women tend to be more graceful and delicate. I've seen women in the Stayes or in many other countries that make sexy look vulgar or crass; often wearing heels and walking like a truck driver and cursing like a sailor. I have to hand it to Argentine women, and men for that matter, they're more refined (not all of them) in their movement and they're way of being. And this doesn't have to do with make-up, heels or ties and nice suits. It has to do with onda.

Always liked that about Argentine women, which is probably why I ended up marrying one. Although I think its down to the classes, there are still a huge majority of trashy lower class women in this country. But I find the middle/upper classes to be well dressed the majority of the time regardless of age.

Another thing i like about Argentina is the way they all seem to love children here . I always remember when we went for a walk in the local plaza with our 4 and 2 year olds and we were surrounded by teenage girls , chatting and taking photos of our kids. They were so interested in these English kids in their neighbourhood and each taking turns to have their photos taken.

My list of things I like about Argentina.
Family friendly.
Great vino at good prices.
BBQ of course
The weather
Hospitality of people you hardly know.
Kioskos and other small businesses on every street run by locals.
Traditional values, not ashamed to show their love of their history.
The countryside, although distances are great, its spectacular.

This thread hits all the high points. From Isadora lauding Argentina for its blessed absence of brown people to JohnW's kvetching about the "trashy lower class women" who don't seem to have the fashion sense of the "middle/upper classes". The only thing that's missing is a post from Donald Sterling.

Sickening.

This thread hits all the high points. From Isadora lauding Argentina for its blessed absence of brown people to JohnW's kvetching about the "trashy lower class women" who don't seem to have the fashion sense of the "middle/upper classes". The only thing that's missing is a post from Donald Sterling.

Sickening.

I think syngirl already said this.

Oh, yes, and you forgot to call me a racist for my comment about US cab drivers. You're slacking off, Ed; get your glove up :)

From Isadora lauding Argentina for its blessed absence of brown people

Where did I say brown people? I said people who don't integrate, regardless of their race.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] immigrants from the third world who cannot seem to integrate with the society[/background]

The US were sort of a clean slate, with immigrants coming from all over the world and nothing to immigrate into. They all were building a new country from scratch.
There was no "blend in" process, there was nothing "to fit in".

What has been happening in Europe in the last 20 years is different.
We have cultures dating back to even thousandth of years ago already in place. We have our religions, our traditions, our sense of what's good and what's bad, or right and wrong. We are democratic countries, we believe that men and women are equals, we believe in non violence, and so on.

Immigrants I was referring to, are immigrants coming from very distant cultures, coming here voluntarily (no pun intended on African slavery trades to the US), and settling in countries with a very long history and very strong traditions, but that fails to adapt and still live according to their own (cultural) rules.
I am not talking about cooking noodles or praying 3 times a day, I am talking about sweatshops, domestic violence, children labour, absence of sanitary control over the food they sell and prepare in their restaurants, no education for their daughters because the public school has mixed classes, physical mutilation, etc.

Find a me a city in Europe which is proud of their Chinatown/Koreatown/Little Italy/Mapletown. Please.

I like how the Farmacias work, and the general competence of the pharmacists. I walked in to a local farmacia on Friday with an empty tube of athlete's foot cream that I'd brought from the states. The pharmacist looked at it, nodded her head once, and vanished behind the counter. In about 15 seconds, she was back with both a tube of cream and a bottle of powder, both containing the exact same active ingredient at the same concentration. I bought both cream and powder, and paid a total price less than what I'd have paid for the cream alone in the States. Oh, and I had waited less than a minute to speak with the pharmacist.

I like the competence of the taxi drivers, and the fact that I can carry on a conversation with them. In San Diego that's usually only possible if you speak either Arabic or Pashto.

I like having a butcher who actually behaves like a butcher.

I like that I can have two cups of coffee, two medialunas, and agua sin gas for less than yuppies would pay for their nonfat decaf soy latte at a Starbucks in San Diego.

I love the fact that BsAs has so many bookstores!

Overall, me encanta la Argentina.

Hits a lot of similar high points for me. I've only had good experience with the pharmacists and farmacias I've encountered in and out of BA.

The cab drivers (on the whole - there's always a rotten egg of two) are the best I've encountered outside of London, where they're world famous for their competence. Really put places like (in my experience) Paris, Montreal and Boston to shame.

Rest rings pretty true for me.

Hits a lot of similar high points for me. I've only had good experience with the pharmacists and farmacias I've encountered in and out of BA.

The cab drivers (on the whole - there's always a rotten egg of two) are the best I've encountered outside of London, where they're world famous for their competence. Really put places like (in my experience) Paris, Montreal and Boston to shame.

Rest rings pretty true for me.
Are you confusing cab drives with remise drivers? "Really put places like (in my experience) Paris, Montreal and Boston to shame"
I must have have been in the wrong Paris.

Back