Crema Americana in summer
Not being able to relate to tourists
The (good) street art
The quiet of Caballito
Picadas and vino
Escapes to Tigre

Street Art Nac & Pop new Trains bought by Randazzo , inaugurated this week

0011061140.jpg

Yeah, it sucks that the trains were vandalized, no argument there. And some of the perennially negative members of our little dysfunctional online family can now gloat and say "I told you so". But beyond all that, look carefully. There is some artistic skill there. So, do we go with Randazzo's reaction and bring the force of the law down upon the parents of these young artists?

Or do we think outside the box, and try to find a way to redirect the artistic impulses into something creative?

Just as one quick suggestion -

Perhaps these young vandals/artists could be organised into groups, and given a venue to develop an artistic plan to paint the cars in an organised manner, using a consistent artistic theme. There are an abundance of tech tools available, (I'm doing a CPE extra credit section right now, associated with my TEFL cert, about uses of technology in the classroom, so this is on my mind), Edmodo is one example. Perhaps multiple groups could be created, and a review board of adult artists to approve/guide the development of these artistic themes. Then when the themes were ready, the cars could be painted flat white, and the young artists turned loose to implement their artistic themes. The basic idea, as shown in the work in Chicano Park, which we discussed in the earlier thread on graffiti, is that graffiti artists respect each other's work, at least to a certain extent.

So let them paint the trains, just guide them and require them to develop a consistent theme, and appoint established local artists to oversee the program.
(Yes, I know this idea will draw howling ridicule from the usual naysayers, but that's fine).
After all, this is the next generation we are talking about here. This is the generation that will run the world when we have grown old. We cannot simply write them off as delinquents, for they are the future. And they are also the generation that will have to pay for these damn trains, so why shouldn't they be allowed to paint them?

Yeah, it sucks that the trains were vandalized, no argument there. And some of the perennially negative members of our little dysfunctional online family can now gloat and say "I told you so". But beyond all that, look carefully. There is some artistic skill there. So, do we go with Randazzo's reaction and bring the force of the law down upon the parents of these young artists?

There is no talent there. That is just juvenile scribbling. If they can't pay for the damage, the kids should do community service, like picking up trash and sidewalk soretes.

Yeah, fancy letters in fluorescent colors doesn't feel much like art to me either. The train cars are one thing, but I see that crap all over everything - including nice marble-facade buildings, or nicely painted buildings, etc, where this crap has to erupt.

There is some cool street art on the sides of some buildings here, and if that's what these guys were painting, I'd agree with Possum. But this is, indeed, talentless scribblings, as is the majority.

I also see a lot of "Fuerza Cristina" type graffiti, but even when I see "No a los K" I feel the same. Ugly and without respect.

This was posted on a friend's facebook page just this week:

That reminded me so much of hanging out with Latin American-born friends in Sweden. They had lived there for years and spoke perfect Swedish, but whenever we went to a restaurant or bar, invariably the wait staff addressed the blond-haired Canadian who knew all of ten words of their language.

That reminded me so much of hanging out with Latin American-born friends in Sweden. They had lived there for years and spoke perfect Swedish, but whenever we went to a restaurant or bar, invariably the wait staff addressed the blond-haired Canadian who knew all of ten words of their language.

But of course, the waitress ignores the Caucasians and goes for the yellow familar and her specy!

because if they weren't waring makeup they would look like men(Argentinean women have masculine facial features). Heels wouldn't change much.

I've been here for 48 hours and am already aware this user's a troll LOL. Now I feel bad for having taken some of his posts seriously. Why not post in 4chan ToastedWaves? I think you'll enjoy it much more than this forum.

Or do we think outside the box, and try to find a way to redirect the artistic impulses into something creative?

Just as one quick suggestion -

Perhaps these young vandals/artists could be organised into groups, and given a venue to develop an artistic plan to paint the cars in an organised manner, using a consistent artistic theme. There are an abundance of tech tools available, (I'm doing a CPE extra credit section right now, associated with my TEFL cert, about uses of technology in the classroom, so this is on my mind), Edmodo is one example. Perhaps multiple groups could be created, and a review board of adult artists to approve/guide the development of these artistic themes. Then when the themes were ready, the cars could be painted flat white, and the young artists turned loose to implement their artistic themes. The basic idea, as shown in the work in Chicano Park, which we discussed in the earlier thread on graffiti, is that graffiti artists respect each other's work, at least to a certain extent.

So let them paint the trains, just guide them and require them to develop a consistent theme, and appoint established local artists to oversee the program.
(Yes, I know this idea will draw howling ridicule from the usual naysayers, but that's fine).
After all, this is the next generation we are talking about here. This is the generation that will run the world when we have grown old. We cannot simply write them off as delinquents, for they are the future. And they are also the generation that will have to pay for these damn trains, so why shouldn't they be allowed to paint them?

Wow redpossum, you're a very nice guy haha. I would like to see those thugs in prison but unfortunately this goverment isn't interested in fighting crime or vandalism. But who knows, maybe they'd benefit from a program like the one you suggest. I just wonder if it would help. curbe their destructive tendencies. Seems like the law is already too soft her and no one fears consequences anymore :/

Back