What Would Be The Final Straw?

Never going to happen. Only happened the first time because of the manipulations of the CIA. I can't see blaming Argentina for that one; Argentines were the victims of viciously cruel manipulation by outside forces.

So, the CIA decided the milicos should invade the Islands to keep themselves in power for a few more weeks, and then supported the Brits?

So, the CIA decided the milicos should invade the Islands to keep themselves in power for a few more weeks, and then supported the Brits?

Precisely. Because they knew that the reparations imposed after the war would force Argentina to privatise public properties, thereby providing an opportunity for venture capitalists to buy up those formerly-pubic properties for pennies on the dollar. The whole point was to sabotage Argentina's progress by looting the public treasury, to cripple Argentina's economy, and to sow hatred and mistrust among the Argentine people.

Thankfully, the greatness of spirit of the Argentine people has largely prevented the third goal from being accomplished.

A lot of expats move around constantly.

Yes...I've lived in three countries not my own in four plus years, but I am exhausted. The reasons for all that moving have little to do with having a desire for the so-called jet setter lifestyle and much more to do with what I chose to study and who I chose to spend my life with. My husband and I are headed back to BA only because that's where the work is right now, and I'm honestly partially relieved to be going there and not somewhere new because since I've spent the longest time there, I know the place. Learning a new city, a new culture and a new dialect of Spanish was fun the first three times, but I think I'm done. The thought of having to figure out how to set up a cell phone plan in a new place yet again, for example, makes me want to lie down. I don't even want to talk about having to make new friends. That stuff gets old.

Anyway, there is really no need to think that if you leave Argentina, you can never come back. I've never really understood this line of thinking, particularly from the people with Argentine partners.

My final straw with living in Latin America in general is honestly safety. I don't want to live in the suburbs, I don't want a white picket fence, I've never owned a damn iPhone or iPad and I don't much care, but I would like to live in a city (preferably a large one) where I don't have to constantly watch my back. I have grown accustomed to electric fences and 24-hour rotating security guards where I live currently, and that depresses me. The increasing crime in Buenos Aires has been a nightmare for those who live there and is only going to get worse for the time being. So yeah, final straw, safety. I will never take it for granted again as long as I live. This one con outweighs the many pros of life in Latin America for me. I say this as a person who has never been so much as pick pocketed in her life, believe it or not. I felt like a damn alien when I was in NYC this year for the first time in a decade and saw the way people compose themselves on the street. They looked so relaxed to me. I miss being able to live like that.

If I meet by coincidence Bar Refaeli in the train Belgrano Norte, if we fall in love and plan on moving to another country, then I might consider leaving Argentina.

How's this for an explanation?

"US may have accidentally helped to start Falklands war by encouraging Argentinians to invade islands, admits ex-CIA chief." (italics mine)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2254755/US-accidentally-helped-start-Falklands-war-encouraging-Argentinians-invade-island-admits-ex-CIA-chief.html

There are many members on this forum that in one way or another are unhappy here, miss home and do not like the majority of things, like politics, of Argentina. I ignore the reasons why they cant leave, return to their beloved countries. I feel very sorry for them.

How's this for an explanation?

"US may have accidentally helped to start Falklands war by encouraging Argentinians to invade islands, admits ex-CIA chief." (italics mine)

http://www.dailymail...-CIA-chief.html

It wouldn't surprise me if the milicos thought, given the way Reagan and Haig groveled in front of them, that they could anything they wanted. But if they did so, they were even greater fools than Ayn. And the Daily Mail, as a source, has all the credibility of Faux News.

The milicos thought the US was going to support them, due the anti comunism fight and kills and desaparecidos and repression, all pro-US, they did. They also supposed the british wouldnt bring their fleet. If the war supposed the only exit to a very tough situation to the Junta, with everyone talking of Human Rights violations, growing distaste, I think it also represented the same to Thatchers popularity, and I dont discard there was an intelligence job by the US and or the british, to make the war happen, some kind of impulse to the militars. The same as they did with Pearl Harbour.

Back