What Would Be The Final Straw?

Dating abroad is always tricky, but I think Buenos Aires takes the cake. Men and women have a reputation for behaving in ways that would have them dismissed as absolute undateable psychos in other cultures. My straight female friends have some tales, let me tell you. Coming out of the movie theater and having 42 missed calls from the same dude, men proposing marriage after a couple weeks of dating, a guy who sobbed in public over the girl's perceived lack of love when they'd only been seeing each other for a month, things like that. If someone's not really into you, they are very flaky, but if they are into you, things can become very intense very quickly to the point that it's just weird if you're not used to it.

The women get a bad rap for being "histérica" and the men get a bad rap for being chronic cheaters and mama's boys, but if you listen to people's stories you will hear about both from both sexes and not just straight people either. People often excuse the behavior people describe as being part of Latin culture, but I've lived in two other Latin countries/cultures and no place has come close to the drama central that is Buenos Aires. But then there are porteños who despise that sort of thing and long to date someone chill who doesn't want to start couples therapy every time you disagree on what to have for dinner.

DontMindMe-

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your perspective, I do appreciate it.

You said "dating abroad is always tricky", and on one level I agree. If two people from the same culture, with the same L1, have trouble making it work, how much harder will it be across a language barrier and a cultural barrier? The other side of the coin is that those differences can be a good catch-all excuse for just being forgiving. "Why", you ask yourself, "is she being so crazy?". If you can attribute it to culturo-linguistic issues, that can make it easier to just shrug it off, forgive her, and carry on like nothing happened, instead of getting all butthurt and making a big deal out of it.

I don't know, at least with the dramatic relationships you are interacting...I can't tell you how many times I've sat next to couples at restaurants in the US who don't talk to each other AT ALL.
Beyond depressing! Give me drama any day.

If the security situation became a lot worse - that would be a reason to leave. And I am no talking about people stealing smart phones or the need for an electric fence. I mean if it got really bad - like I had seen it in (northern) Mexico.

If they enforce their own "Laws On The Books".

Could you imagine life without Arbolitos on Florida ?
I don't think it'd be worth living.

I left exactly six weeks today. I would have stayed for eternity, but I just couldn't take my job anymore. Among other things, in 7 years they only gave me 2 10% inflationary raises, which meant my once decent middle-class salary was barely covering my expenses each month. That plus increasing levels of bullshit and I had to make a change.

That said, I regret coming back to the US. After 7 years in AR and 2 in France, I'm just not that into the culture/lifestyle in the US. It's possible I can transfer to Uruguay with this job after a year. If not, I may be moving back to AR and working freelance.

Or teaching English! I heard it's a veritable goldmine down there! :)

I left exactly six weeks today. I would have stayed for eternity, but I just couldn't take my job anymore. Among other things, in 7 years they only gave me 2 10% inflationary raises, which meant my once decent middle-class salary was barely covering my expenses each month. That plus increasing levels of bullshit and I had to make a change.

That said, I regret coming back to the US. After 7 years in AR and 2 in France, I'm just not that into the culture/lifestyle in the US. It's possible I can transfer to Uruguay with this job after a year. If not, I may be moving back to AR and working freelance.

Or teaching English! I heard it's a veritable goldmine down there! :)

Sleslie:
Would it be possible that you try to find something in Colonia and make a deal with BuqueBus or SeaCat to commute daily?
Uruguay, is clean and nice, But DEAD, (slow death for me), food is even a much much bigger problem there (not a joke there).

It's only 1 hour ida, 1 hour vuelta, I would say it's even more doable than commuting within inside BA.
OR think of doing something on your own in BA. Life experience in BA is worth walking the extra mile to reach.

Often times, that is what it takes, just only that last extra mile that makes the difference and gives the edge.
Teaching English time (unless it's a hobby), has long past ..........

Back