What's Keeping You?

Politics is like the weather , you do not need to be too smart to be able to talk about it. Besides , it is in our nature to complain. About anything that just so happens to be not so important.

Anyways , those of us with wives understand completely.

It is a beautiful country. Get out of Buenos Aires and see something different.

There seems to be a large (or at least very vocal) amount of people here that are quite unhappy about the government, society, culture, etc here in Argentina. Since all of these people have presumably moved here voluntarily, I'm curious: why do you choose to stay? I came here for various reasons, but one of the big ones was that I was very unhappy with my home society, culture, and government. It seems like moving, when possible, is a logical choice in those circumstances. So what is it that prevents you? Family? Money? There's something here that you love which eclipses your burning hatred of Cristina?

Well, my husband and I moved back voluntarily in that no one physically tied us up and put us on the plane. I wouldn't say we wanted to come back, though. But after three months of unemployment for both of us in what they say is the third-most expensive city in Latin America (Bogotá, where you pay U.S. $1000+ for a very small, basic furnished one bedroom unless you can get your hands on TWO garantías), a contract came up for my husband down here and we came back. At first we were excited, but the initial high wore off after about a month it was back to the same old BS. Rude people (shockingly rude when you're not used to it anymore), horrible service, a new, annoying problem to have to solve every damn day...We have our tickets to leave in October and we can't wait. The good stuff here is so, so good, but everything else is horrendous.

I have gotten a chance to travel a bit more this time around, which has been amazing. I've finally seen the north and the south. This country really is spectacular. But in addition to the complaints above, neither of us can pursue our professional dreams here or have any sort of stable life with the way things are. Not to mention we don't have family here, so by not leaving we would be shooting ourselves in the foot in every way.

As for the people who complain, and could leave but don't? I don't quite get it either. The world is such a big place. You don't have to go home, but you sure as hell don't have to stay here.

Interesting that every "serious" country today is expensive while the cheaper are the third world... certainly another panorama than fifteen? years ago when everything was different, Argentina was more (yes, incredibly there is more corruption than this one) corrupted and yet much more expensive.
We all know that El Turco measure of 1:1 created this artificial situation in Argentina , was the most expensive country in the world.

Reactions: Joe
We all know that El Turco measure of 1:1 created this artificial situation in Argentina , was the most expensive country in the world.

Not really. I spent a lot of time in Argentina during those years, and it was still cheaper than the US. You could make an argument in terms of value for money, though.

Not really. I spent a lot of time in Argentina during those years, and it was still cheaper than the US. You could make an argument in terms of value for money, though.

During the first Menen period 90 -95 was ok but by 1998 it was a crisis We are talking of a 10 year period??

During the first Menen period 90 -95 was ok but by 1998 it was a crisis We are talking of a 10 year period??

Inflation was near zero after de facto dollarization, so prices were stable. That brought other problems, though, making Argentine exports uncompetitive and fomenting unemployment.

This is partially true. Hyperinflation lasted till 1992, and then it began the massive privatisation process (that is, to sell every asset the State had, extremely cheap and quick). So we had a three years period of stability, supported by taking debt and privatising. Then in 1995 tequila effect came to stay, recession began in 1998. 1996 and 1997 were characterised by enormous unemployment and poverty growth, like this country never had before. It was then, for example, when insecurity problems began.

This is partially true. Hyperinflation lasted till 1992, and then it began the massive privatisation process (that is, to sell every asset the State had, extremely cheap and quick). So we had a three years period of stability, supported by taking debt and privatising. Then in 1995 tequila effect came to stay, recession began in 1998. 1996 and 1997 were characterised by enormous unemployment and poverty growth, like this country never had before. It was then, for example, when insecurity problems began.

We always come back to the difference between State and Government .

The debt acquired by the Dicradura and the Menem Privatizations are debts of the Argentina State Can't start blaming it on errors of an illegitimate or a Neoliberal government, Memem was elected almost 3 times , if he didn't step aside.... :rolleyes:

Not paying debt service trom 2002 -2005 made thingd look a lot better :wub:

As I get a little bit older it becomes more difficult [irritating] to be looking over my shoulder all of the time. If it were not for that, BA would be a more tolerable place.

If you don't like to read negativity, why keep reading it? ;)

I guess it's like most things... you have to take the good with the bad, and unfortunately the 'bad' is usually more 'important' or newsworthy especially if you're either trying to warn others or look for advice/empathy. No one is going to come here and post about how their visit to the post office went without a hitch... or that traffic was good today... or that the customer service actually came through for you when it should.

Life's daily frustrations can get the better of you, and if you have little choice (because you're here for financial reasons or have kids or a spouse or nowhere else to go) it's natural to be disappointed, frustrated, or just worn out at times especially if you're used to a place with more order and logic. :p I do enjoy the randomness... but I think part of finding happiness here is learning to let go a bit. If you're too rigid, everything from the trash to the politics will drive you insane.

I also love it when someone who's only been here for like 3 months says to people who have been here for years "why do you complain so much?" :p Maybe the porteño attitude has just rubbed off on us too much. ;) That, or we're just getting old and cranky.

Back