What's Keeping You?

An interesting thread would be: what made you come to Argentina?

I guess we all listened to a specific music, watched a specific movie, before coming here & while we didn't really know much about Argentina.

A tune I would listen to often before coming here is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v97uUMDxXzQ

Yesterday I got the typical question by an Argentine when they find out I'm a foreigner: "Te gusta vivir en Argentina?". It's exhausting getting this question on a daily basis, so I responded to her: "A vos te gusta vivir en Argentina?". She smiled and said not right now.

Yesterday I got the typical question by an Argentine when they find out I'm a foreigner: "Te gusta vivir en Argentina?". It's exhausting getting this question on a daily basis, so I responded to her: "A vos te gusta vivir en Argentina?". She smiled and said not right now.

The worst question is "¿Te gusta la Argentina?" because it oversimplifies so. There are things I like a lot, and things I dislike a lot - just as in my own country.

I guess we all listened to a specific music, watched a specific movie, before coming here & while we didn't really know much about Argentina.

https://www.youtube....h?v=v97uUMDxXzQ

None of that for me. For me, it was a woman -- one I'd known and been friends with for four years. Unfortunately shortly after arriving she had a crisis and decided to dedicate her every waking moment outside of work towards her family, which apparently can't take care of itself. So now I'm just here for the beef.

My first experience in Argentina almost kept me from returning. In 1979, I crossed from Coyhaique to Río Mayo, where I went to a parrilla with a couple German friends. A milico entered the restaurant with a sidearm and body language that said "I could pull this out and execute anybody I wish to, and none of you would dare say a word."

Then, a couple years later, I met an Argentine woman in Bolivia and then went to see her in Buenos Aires. We are still married, with one adult daughter.

https://www.youtube....h?v=v97uUMDxXzQ

Please start this thread, frenchie! I think we may have had one like it before, but there are so many new members that it doesn't matter. I'd certainly enjoy reading all the responses.

I lived for 20+years in the States and had the same question over and over (of course, not about Argentina). I did not suffer there and I am happy being an American. However, what can I say, I like it much better here and now I can give people an honest answer.

I listened to craps and watched shameful news on the TV about Berlusconi my whole life (since 1994, when I was 9 y.o.), that anywhere in the world would have been better. A big plus is that I don't speak Spanish, so I am happy in my ignorance. Eventually, I'll get tired of Argentina, as well, but I am seizing these blissful months of ignorance.

Back