What's Keeping You?

I also love it when someone who's only been here for like 3 months says to people who have been here for years "why do you complain so much?" :p Maybe the porteño attitude has just rubbed off on us too much. ;) That, or we're just getting old and cranky.

Probably the latter in my case ;) Actually I was so one of those annoying people who complained about the complainers when I moved here. Part of it was the honeymoon phase and part of it was although I was "living here", I lived like a tourist in that I didn't really have tramites to deal with. Almost 7 years later, it's an entirely different ballgame and a lot more stressful.

As far as what's keeping me here - my beloved and our kids and our business. But if that last item ever changes (i.e., we sell the farm), we would leave. More and more we talk about it now that the kids are here. It's a different ballgame when you start looking at raising kids here and the issues get a lot more real.

There are some of us who are darn happy here even if we don't like the government.

There are many people all over the world that are unhappy with their government. It's not exclusive to Argentina, but regardless of economic and political situations that add misery to our lives, we must learn to be happy and thankful no matter where we reside. I've always felt that I have a love/hate relationship with Argentina.

I just went to view an apt I'm considering renting and it is owned by a Brazilian and her and I were talking about Arge and it reminds me of what I miss and don't. I told her about last nights speech and today's dolar blue price and those are good reminders why for me it wasn't working.

I think a lot of people think leaving after a few months means admitting defeat, but staying longer can actually be worse. Just my take on the energetic "why are you all so bitter" types staying until they're broke.

It seems like moving, when possible, is a logical choice in those circumstances. So what is it that prevents you? Family? Money?

We have just arrived (May '14) and we moved here for two reasons: 1) Cost of life 2) Social life

After being unemployed in Italy for a year as a engineer, I was supporting myself doing freelancing work on the Internet. I gathered some information and I realized I could never pay taxes there AND have a life. Maybe we could be able to support ourself one way or the other (with some help from parents, some side jobs, etc!), but we would never be able to raise kids.

Second, we were facing a huge wave of immigration from Arabic countries which lead to unpleasant situations, from people being rude because they don't know how Italian, to Italians being rude to anybody they don't know personally because they fear they are immigrants.

Truth to be said, I wanted to move to the US and resume my engineering career, but I couldn't bring my boyfriend with me in the short time and he doesn't like it there (he's Argentinian, so BsAs wins hands down).
We casually went to BsAs on vacation on last December, and on January we were packing our stuff. I am/was fed up with Italy, anywhere in the world would have done it for me!

We plan on staying here about two years (in the meanwhile I will try to sponsor him for a VISA in the US) and then we will see. I don't like my freelancing job, it is not challenging, there is no growth potential and I feel exploited. I really liked my engineering job, but there are just a few places left in the world for that kind of work, and they are "less sociable" countries, such as the US or the ME or Asia.

Overall, BsAs was and is the best quality of life/cost of living compromise for us.

We have just arrived (May '14) and we moved here for two reasons: 1) Cost of life 2) Social life

After being unemployed in Italy for a year as a engineer, I was supporting myself doing freelancing work on the Internet. I gathered some information and I realized I could never pay taxes there AND have a life. Maybe we could be able to support ourself one way or the other (with some help from parents, some side jobs, etc!), but we would never be able to raise kids.

Second, we were facing a huge wave of immigration from Arabic countries which lead to unpleasant situations, from people being rude because they don't know how Italian, to Italians being rude to anybody they don't know personally because they fear they are immigrants.

Truth to be said, I wanted to move to the US and resume my engineering career, but I couldn't bring my boyfriend with me in the short time and he doesn't like it there (he's Argentinian, so BsAs wins hands down).
We casually went to BsAs on vacation on last December, and on January we were packing our stuff. I am/was fed up with Italy, anywhere in the world would have done it for me!

We plan on staying here about two years (in the meanwhile I will try to sponsor him for a VISA in the US) and then we will see. I don't like my freelancing job, it is not challenging, there is no growth potential and I feel exploited. I really liked my engineering job, but there are just a few places left in the world for that kind of work, and they are "less sociable" countries, such as the US or the ME or Asia.

Overall, BsAs was and is the best quality of life/cost of living compromise for us.

Thought you were a guy with your previous avatar, lol

Argies always want to come home to mama. They just love to hate it.

Argies always want to come home to mama. They just love to hate it.

My MIL was the one who moved to Italy and dragged her kids with her. Some people fall in love with La dolce vita, and end up in a shitty apartment in a grey city. And they insist saying that it is better than living in San Isidro.
How would you translate "avere le fette di salame sugli occhi" in English?!

Back