What's Keeping You?

My Italian Gumba told me to learn these beguiner's profanity words before arriving to Italy, and that was back in the 80's!
But still to this date, don't know what- Mincceyah Madonna Basta che non fumma- means.
Serafina-san defintion please!
ItalianSwearWords.jpg

Hybrid-san, I hope you never uttered those words. Just a few are spot on, but the other are laughable.

And what on earth is a gumba?! That word was invented in the Sopranos!

Could it possibly be'' cumpa''?Most of the Italians around here would call each other cumpa if they were from the same part of Italy or had developed a very close relationship in this country(neighbors in most cases)all other Italians were ''paesanos''
This was in the late 1800's until about 1970's when the last immigration wave started to die out

A Italo~American told me Gumba means "Compadre" in Spanish isn't it ?
But still wanting to know, what "Minccheya madonna basta che non fumma" means?
Is it one of the worst of the Italo slang profanity? That phrase came from a New york Italiano...

In the Sopranos they use gumar to indicate the mistress, but they invented this slang. I believe they derived it from "comare", which is an old fashioned way to address a female "companion".

Gumba seems to be another thing, maybe as - McKenna suggests - it is cumpa', which is a short form for "compagno" (again, "companion", "alike") and was used the same way as "paisa'" (slang for paesano, literally someone from the same town and, by extension, from the same country).

This kind of slang is derived from Sicilian dialect and it is quite unique, as well vastly influenced by Arabic. It is very hard to understand since it is very different from the standard Italian spoke nationwide.

what "Minccheya madonna basta che non fumma" means?
I believe what was said is this: Minchia, madonna! Basta che non fuma, which contains a grammar mistake since it should be "che non fumi", but it is the kind of mistake widespread in lower classes or uneducated people.

It means "To hell, Holy mother! As long as he/it doesn't smoke!"
it could mean the act of smoking a cigarette/cigar or something smoking (such as a car engine at fault)

Minchia literally means "dick", and it is used to express that the speaker is bothered.
Madonna, the Holy Lady mother of God, just a blasphemy.

There are some of us who are darn happy here even if we don't like the government.
Hey Dirtboy. My wife and I are trying to prepare for our move to Argentina next September. We have friends in Corrientes Capital so we will most likely end up there but we could really use some advice on how to make a decent living down there as an expat. Our friends say that we could do well with a clothing store or something like that in the centro of Corrientes.

I noticed your post signature about real estate. Do you have any advice on where to look for investment properties or how to make a living in beautiful Argentina? Thanks!

I just love it. The good and the bad. Of course I don't love some of the everyday difficulties, but, for me, the good outweighs the bad.

Back