What's your line of work? AKA - What does everyone do here?

I work in sales for a software services company, a new gig for me, prior to that I owned a small retail shop (3 years) and before that I worked in electronic media and advertising. All in 5 years since I've been here. In the USA I was in mortgage banking for many, many years and since that doesn't exist here, I've had to be creative career wise.

I came here as a journalist, quit my job and now do some front-end web development.

I'm a freelance web developer (newleafdigital.com), specialized in Drupal for several years, now pivoting to Node.js. I used to get most of my work through the Drupal community (monthly meetups in Boston, semi-annual conferences) and word-of-mouth referrals. Moving here took away the in-person networking (the Drupal community here is small, and I want US-based clients for the better pay and to avoid Argentine taxes). Switching to a new specialty would be difficult even back in the US, but so far it's working out. I tend to get a big project one month, then the next month I might travel for a week, do a lot of learning/side projects/R&D, then I get another project, so it balances out over time (but is also very unstable/unpredictable). I also have a startup web business
(antiquesnearme.com) that I work on, but that's still in the bootstrap phase.

I did find some great Ruby developers that I co-work with occasionally. The formal coworking spaces like Urban Station are way too expensive, but if there are other web/software developers on here who want to do casual coworking - pick a cafe for a day and work / share ideas / talk about common challenges - I'm always up for that.

(Also if anyone else is in a similar line of work, there's actually a Javascript/Node.js conference here in BA next weekend - jsconf.com.ar - which I'm very excited about.)

Marketing. I work with a Canadian consumer products company on several of their brands and with their a couple of their partner agencies, most often in a somewhat external counsel role, as well as contributing to internal reports/publications on (social/mobile) trends.

Smcali23 said:
How do you find the work environment here? Do you work with Argentines or fellow expats?

Since it's such a small company, it's all very laid back and informal. The guys I work with are quite "worldly" and speak perfect English.

Let me know if you're ever keen to meet for a coffee and discuss all things design related... your work sounds really interesting!

Back