When I move here what special things should I bring that are hard to get?

Oh, crap...my go-to sandwich...so there is no USA-style bacon there? How about buying the raw product at the butcher and cutting it???
american style bacon isn't common, but you can find it in a couple meat markets occasionally. pork in general is less common i think.

Sooooo... after this thread I literally now just found out what that extra toilet is I've been seeing in other countries that's taking up extra space in the bathroom.

I have NEVER said this in my life but here we go... I AM AMERICAN and I'm never using that hahaha
Putting paid to my long-held theory that Secret is female.

He's not alone, of course:

I've only been here a couple of months and don't live in BsAs, so I'm no wealth of information on what's available here.

I agree with whoever mentioned that the tea here is weak sauce. Pretty much flavorless.

As far as bringing things from "home," I used to always bring maple syrup. The real deal. Only thing I've ever found south of the Rio Grande is just some corn syrupy substitute that doesn't come close to actual maple syrup in taste or texture.

The thing with bringing in those kind of favorite things is that they eventually run out and then you're left wanting for more. I always try to find the best local version or something entirely different but still scratches whatever the particular itch happens to be. Can't find your favorite snack or candy bar? Discover a new one.

My in-laws have spent $100 at the airport for an extra suitcase or overweight baggage just so they could bring things back like Leche Gloria. Kind of crazy to me, considering there's no shortage of milk here, but to each their own favorite product from home.

RE: Tea taragui’s English Breakfast isn’t too bad just need two bags for each cuppa, Otherwise ‘Virgin islands’ is quite good but also need two bags per cup.

Carrefour's house brand is actually pretty good, IMO, but you must inspect the wrap carefully to be sure there are no rips or tears. If it's torn, guaranteed the tea inside will be stale and awful.

Taragui is lame, in my opinion. All the major brands are.

I was just going to chime in and say the same thing: I was thrilled to find black LEAF tea in Carrefour sometime back (i.e., not the tea bag rubbish, but tea you spoon into a teapot and then strain into the cup). In the rack where they hang packets of spices.

Last edited:
Sooooo... after this thread I literally now just found out what that extra toilet is I've been seeing in other countries that's taking up extra space in the bathroom.

I have NEVER said this in my life but here we go... I AM AMERICAN and I'm never using that hahaha
As Anthony Bourdain famously said: “I like a fluffy hotel towel. I like a bidet. Look, I like warm jets of water squirting up my ass. I mean, who doesn’t? I could retire here.”

I soon started two bagging my tea as well.

If I was the conspiracy theory type I'd say the flavorless black tea was part of a devious plot to get us all drinking mate.

I probably drink more mate than tea these days which is a sad state of affairs for an Englishman.

I draw the line at Mate cocido though,

Last edited:
Back