When I move here what special things should I bring that are hard to get?

Bring any electronics that you might need until your next visit to the US..... computers, phones, Chromecast, tablet.
Any new devices should be made to look like they've been in use ie: take them out of their box, setup user info. I've never heard of anyone being checked but there's always a first time.
$USD should be used 100's.
Tylenol is not available here.
Also before you leave... have bagels and lox and corned beef on rye. send me photos.

Last edited:
Its so funny to me how many different versions of Argentina there seem to be.
I buy all my mens underwear in Argentina, have for ten years. I go down to Once, the wholesale neighborhood, and buy really high quality 100% cotton mens briefs, if you buy enough to make the minimum, about 20 bucks right now, you get wholesale prices. Half or less of what "name" brand costs in the USA.

I can get 6 kinds of exotic chips- thai peppers, vinegar and salt, and so on, at the fiambria 20 meters away across the street.

My neighborhood chino, 1 block away, has soft toilet paper, and fruit scented translucent soft soap bars, for about 1/3 what they cost at target.

I actually use panuellos (handkerchiefs) in my artwork, and, again, in Once, you can find all kinds of bandannas, in every color, for a fraction of US prices.

I have been buying Argentine made shoes since 2007. I probably have over a dozen pairs, here and in the USA. They are excellent quality, and none have worn out. But- they only make certain styles. If you want Nikes, they all come from the same factories in Vietnam, and cost double here. If you want Birkenstocks, same thing- double. Instead, you have to buy quality Argentine brands, like Aqua Patagonica, or Correa. (I wear a mens 12, 44 euro size. Never a problem finding my size)

The big thing you have to learn in Argentina is how to shop.
Its a country with crappy online shopping- nothing like Amazon.
Most stores dont have websites.
Mercado Libre has some things, but far from everything, and its impossible to use without a DNI (residency)

Instead, there are literally hundreds of small, family owned factories, and thousands of small family owned stores. Each has different stuff. There are many brands of most things- and it takes time and effort to learn where the good stuff is. But its here, if you look, and often, better quality than you find in the USA.

Things I bring-
Electronics- again, imports cost double. For many years Argentina has had the highest global price for new Iphones.
So- computers, tablets, phones, things like JBL bluetooth speakers. Bluetooth headphones. I bring things like my small DJ mixer, backup hard drives, and high capacity usb drives, and my ebook reader.
Also, cables and connectors. You can buy a cheap desktop monitor here, but the adapter for this years macbook to hdmi might be rare and really expensive. Real apple power supplies for laptops are a fortune.

Real saran wrap- the local stuff just sucks.

Spicy condiments- there are starting to be a few local hot sauces, and these days, Siracha is actually available, but if you cook, anything picante is still worth bringing.

All in all, especially in CABA, most things are available. If you buy local, they are cheap in blue dollars. Imported anything is usually double- that goes for anything from Whiskey to Porsches. So, eat local.

Odd things that are specific to hobbies or professions may not exist- for example, my architect friends in the usa use small rolls of light yellow tracing paper for sketching. Cant get it here, and architects here love it as a gift. They dont sell prewound bobbins for sewing machines here. I buy em by the gross in the USA. Some things I take for granted when doing home repairs are just not here- I had to bring an undersink filter setup for my water from the USA, where it cost 30 bucks- here they only have clunky countertop models that attach to the faucet. But none of that should affect you for a few month visit.

Last edited:
I buy all my mens underwear in Argentina, have for ten years. I go down to Once, the wholesale neighborhood, and buy really high quality 100% cotton mens briefs, if you buy enough to make the minimum, about 20 bucks right now, you get wholesale prices. Half or less of what "name" brand costs in the USA.

I can get 6 kinds of exotic chips- thai peppers, vinegar and salt, and so on, at the fiambria 20 meters away across the street.

My neighborhood chino, 1 block away, has soft toilet paper, and fruit scented translucent soft soap bars, for about 1/3 what they cost at target.

I actually use panuellos (handkerchiefs) in my artwork, and, again, in Once, you can find all kinds of bandannas, in every color, for a fraction of US prices.

I have been buying Argentine made shoes since 2007. I probably have over a dozen pairs, here and in the USA. They are excellent quality, and none have worn out. But- they only make certain styles. If you want Nikes, they all come from the same factories in Vietnam, and cost double here. If you want Birkenstocks, same thing- double. Instead, you have to buy quality Argentine brands, like Aqua Patagonica, or Correa. (I wear a mens 12, 44 euro size. Never a problem finding my size)

Mercado Libre has some things, but far from everything, and its impossible to use without a DNI (residency)

Instead, there are literally hundreds of small, family owned factories, and thousands of small family owned stores. Each has different stuff. There are many brands of most things- and it takes time and effort to learn where the good stuff is. But its here, if you look, and often, better quality than you find in the USA.

Things I bring-
Electronics- again, imports cost double. For many years Argentina has had the highest global price for new Iphones.
So- computers, tablets, phones, things like JBL bluetooth speakers. Bluetooth headphones. I bring things like my small DJ mixer, backup hard drives, and high capacity usb drives, and my ebook reader.
Also, cables and connectors. You can buy a cheap desktop monitor here, but the adapter for this years macbook to hdmi might be rare and really expensive. Real apple power supplies for laptops are a fortune.

Spicy condiments- there are starting to be a few local hot sauces, and these days, Siracha is actually available, but if you cook, anything picante is still worth bringing.

All in all, especially in CABA, most things are available. If you buy local, they are cheap in blue dollars. Imported anything is usually double- that goes for anything from Whiskey to Porsches. So, eat local.

Odd things that are specific to hobbies or professions may not exist- for example, my architect friends in the usa use small rolls of light yellow tracing paper for sketching. Cant get it here, and architects here love it as a gift. They dont sell prewound bobbins for sewing machines here. I buy em by the gross in the USA. Some things I take for granted when doing home repairs are just not here- I had to bring an undersink filter setup for my water from the USA, where it cost 30 bucks- here they only have clunky countertop models that attach to the faucet. But none of that should affect you for a few month visit.
You seem a busy fellow, Ries, but if you started your own blog on the topic of living like a local in CABA I'd sign up. Or maybe living like a savvy expat in CABA.

Buenos Aires is a unique city, and there is an incredible amount to learn here. In 15 years, I have barely scratched the surface. Art, music, architecture, poetry, writing and theater, dance, food, history- there is a lot here.
One thing I have often done is to take the colectivo- you must take the colectivos, its the best way to see the city- to a barrio I have not been before, find a funky bar viejo to have lunch in, and just walk around for an hour or two. Borges did that for 30 years.

Ok, I dont get it. I mean, my wife says I am a brute- but, seriously- Toilet paper?
As a scientific experiment, and, also because we are almost out, I walked 100 meters to my local mini-mercado, and bought toilet paper. I splurged and bought "Eleganza", the expensive brand, for a whopping 330 pesos. Thats almost 37 cents USD per roll. And to my simple mind, it is pretty much indistiguishable from the stuff Costco sells in a 48 pack.
Do people really import toilet paper because Argentine stuff is too coarse for the sensitive posteriors?

I know, there does exist an institutional variety of toilet paper that is pretty much the same as wax paper, that you find in the restrooms of dive bars here.
But you dont HAVE to buy that stuff- they have normal toilet paper too.

I’m having a hard time finding disposable lens wipes. Found an Eyeglass store chain that sells them in packs of 10 and at a much higher price than what I was getting in USA. If anybody knows where I can get a bigger package of them for a good price let me know. I use 2 lens wipes per day, 1 for my glasses and phone, and the other for my tablet.

Toilet paper here is not really necessary if you have the bidet in my opinion, and most places I’ve been have the bidet. It’s an amazing thing and works very well compared to toilet paper. I don’t know why this isn’t common in the USA.

One thing that Buenos Aires has a ton of is health food stores, vegan products, and low sugar or no sugar products. That was my main concern coming here but I found that they’re much more abundant than in Dallas.

Ok, I dont get it. I mean, my wife says I am a brute- but, seriously- Toilet paper?
As a scientific experiment, and, also because we are almost out, I walked 100 meters to my local mini-mercado, and bought toilet paper. I splurged and bought "Eleganza", the expensive brand, for a whopping 330 pesos. Thats almost 37 cents USD per roll. And to my simple mind, it is pretty much indistiguishable from the stuff Costco sells in a 48 pack.
Do people really import toilet paper because Argentine stuff is too coarse for the sensitive posteriors?

I know, there does exist an institutional variety of toilet paper that is pretty much the same as wax paper, that you find in the restrooms of dive bars here.
But you dont HAVE to buy that stuff- they have normal toilet paper too.
It was a joke ;)

Things I bring-

Great if your in CABA, anywhere else in the country and you're sol. Probably 95% of business is Arg don't have any online presence. Makes the first step of finding what you want to buy very difficult. So unless you have the time to get on a bus and ground pound there's no way you can even connect with vendors.

Bring a quality can opener if you ever plan to open a can here without sacrificing your bloodied fingers. Useless versions are everywhere.

Reactions: Moe
Back