When to buy plane tickets?

cassiem13

Registered
Hello all,
I'm finally starting to plan my return to the US, and so I will need to buy a plane ticket sometime here in the near future. I'll be flying to California, and will be leaving (*sniff sniff*) in January or February, after doing some traveling around Argentina.

I was wondering how far in advance I should buy my ticket to get the best deal. For me, the later the better, so I can have a better idea of how much $ I'll have, and thus how much time I can spend traveling. But I don't want to miss a low price, either. Right now, tickets from EZE to SFO are about US$850. YIKES! That's a bit high, no?

To complicate things, my sister will be coming down to travel with me, and then we will fly home together, so we'll be buying two tickets: a roundtrip for her, and a one way for me.

Anyone have any idea of price trends with the airlines? I've been using kayak.com to do most of my searching, although I'll probably check out STA, as well, as we're both under 26 and they tend to have good prices.

Thanks!

I'm afraid anywhere from 600-800 USD is the going rate for a one-way ticket from EZE, unfortunately.

Mobissimo.com is a good search engine, as well as bookingbuddy.com.

Suerte!

My wife and I just bought tickets flying to BsAs from NYC. The cheapest tickets were in November. We based on search around price with a timing from October to April, Mid-November to Mud-December was the best we found. 2 round trip tickets US$1700. Considering it cost us $2400 for the same tickets in the end of January that's not bad.

Believe it or not I always find the best price going directly through LAN. The only way to get really cheap is if you make a bunch of stops.

cassiem13 said:
Hello all,

Right now, tickets from EZE to SFO are about US$850. YIKES! That's a bit high, no?

I've been using kayak.com to do most of my searching, although I'll probably check out STA, as well, as we're both under 26 and they tend to have good prices.

Thanks!

Wow, believe it or not I haven't paid $850 in years (well I got $1000 on TACA last year). THat is very cheap.Where did you find that price? And for which airline?Thanks! and I would jump on that offer if I were you. I also do EZE SFO :)

850 is the best I've ever gotten (I also fly eze sfo)... And they never add the taxes at first, so if the published price is 850... its probably more about 1000. And I'm flying in 2 weeks, got my ticket 2 weeks ago, and paid 850+ 156 in taxes= 1006. I consider it a pretty good deal. My fiance paid 1400 last year (i got my ticket earlier for 1100).

I just re-read the first person's post. The original poster is referring to one-way tickets. I once tried to get a one-way ticket because I can never plan far enough ahead for my next return home and I always end up changing whatever date I choose. But one-way tickets are such rip-offs. For me its cheaper to get a round-trip (which is basically the same price) and then change (the fee is $250 on continental and you can change the destination and everything).

Alilou said:
850 is the best I've ever gotten (I also fly eze sfo)... And they never add the taxes at first, so if the published price is 850... its probably more about 1000. And I'm flying in 2 weeks, got my ticket 2 weeks ago, and paid 850+ 156 in taxes= 1006. I consider it a pretty good deal. My fiance paid 1400 last year (i got my ticket earlier for 1100).

That was 3 weeks ago.. for mid august departure

Alilou said:
I just re-read the first person's post. The original poster is referring to one-way tickets. I once tried to get a one-way ticket because I can never plan far enough ahead for my next return home and I always end up changing whatever date I choose. But one-way tickets are such rip-offs. For me its cheaper to get a round-trip (which is basically the same price) and then change (the fee is $250 on continental and you can change the destination and everything).

As of 2 weeks ago

Back