Where can I avail self-defense training in BA

For pistol shooting, go to a "poligono de tiro" and register. If you live in Capital federal there's one in front of the river plate stadium called Tiro Federal.

You need certain amount of shooting time before you can purchase a firearm, along with a psychophisical exam, issued by the club too.

Once you register and start shooting they'll likely guide you through.

However, I cannot say the above without giving my personal opinion on some things you said earlier on:

I used to own half a dozen firearms I had to sell before I married. I know enough about them and I know enough about Argentina to tell you that the best option you have during a robbery is to stay calm and let em take what ever they want. Being a hero is never an option.

If you don't want to be robbed, stay away from dangerous areas, keep your eyes open and don't be deceived by the looks of people.

I've been living here for 29 years and I've been robbed at gun point only once by some creep whom I would have easily overpowered and beaten to death with my bare hands (without any self defense training) if he didn't have a cheap .22 pointing at me.

I was robbed in 1997, during the "golden age" of argentina when the peso dollar exchange rate was 1:1 and theft was unusual. So honestly, it's just random. It's not worse.

It's great to get a self defense training and learn how to shoot. In fact, in my town, the local police is hiring, you will get a gun, a vest, and a monthly pay if you fancy playing with guns.

wolfy said:
You need certain amount of shooting time before you can purchase a firearm, along with a psychophisical exam, issued by the club too.

Most gunshops offer to do all the paperwork for you (for a fee) if you buy a gun from them. No prior experience needed. Unfortunately.

A few Tiros Federales offer, on certain days, the possibility to do the tests you mention. They do not issue the certificates.
It used to be a formality, now you sit your a$$ down, answer a few Qs, draw a few doodles and get an actual evaluation. You must date and sign it, it goes in your file (legajo).

What town is that that they issue you a vest? Most cops I know must share their old vests.

I am on my way to Bs.As. for good in September (retirement). I know the city very well and have never been taken for an extranjero, but I got robbed in a bakery while selecting facturas for my breakfast, and it happened in Palermo. On the other hand, all they wanted was my watch, a piece of crap at that, and I didn't get hurt. Now I've lived in Chicago all of my life and I've been robbed in my own hometown three times..... two at gunpoint and once at knifepoint, and hurt once. I think that with street smarts learned in a big city you will be alright most of the time. I dropped my guard the time I got robbed in the bakery, and never saw my assailants, since I was knocked to the floor and they worked fast. By the time I got back on my feet they were gone, and so was my watch. When there is nobody around, keep the eye in the back of your head wide open.

Ceviche said:
On another note, where can I take training in pistol shooting in BA. Not that I intend keeping one. I heard its possible in BA to take training

Here you go. Friends of mine where I also instruct as well when I am in the country.

http://www.tdu-cursos.com

Raining on my parade, my friend. :rolleyes: Why give it away if we might do it together?

PS: Good to read you here again, Logan.

Ceviche said:
With all these horror stories , I am hearing from all expats..I am beginning to get paranoid though I have been lucky to escape some incident so far. But who knows how long my luck will last.

Rather than leave it to god or my destiny, I want to do something about it.

I am looking for some self-defense training in a training school in BA or 1:1 in a park by some some private coach.

Any tips on such possibility of finding a school or a trainer for this kind of training?

I am a very tall guy with a good built..I want to maximize the advantage by learning some self -defense as well at least for a 1:1 combat in my house or on the road.

If you are in Palermo, we could train you in the Dojo gym in Bulnes (if u want to fight a bit and get on the contact bases). I am also a freelance female P.T and thai boxing instructor. I´ve trainned guys in NZ and London..the best and honestly reply it is to get out of the contact surely, .. people can hold guns and perhaps drunkers are out of themselves..try to get away and avoid them..Here my mob. 11 30 20 5774 Alex

Iznogud said:
paimai.jpeg

SERIOUSLY?

Suspense is killing me... :cool:

I just re-read this one!

Fell down my chair laughing! ja ja

nicoenarg said:
I don't think Ceviche was asking about WHAT self defense is. I think all he was asking was WHERE to get classes. We don't know what he is capable of or what he thinks about standing his ground. I also don't think we are in a position to tell Ceviche that he can't do it and that he will get himself killed. Only he himself and his instructor would be able to judge that.

Different people have different perceptions on what they should or shouldn't stand up for. In different parts of the world, people die for freedom. In other parts of the world, people die for their idols in their temples. Everyone comes to the conclusion of what is worth dying for on their own. For me, my family members' lives are more important than mine. For others it ought not be the same.

So well said, mate.

Couldn't agree more!

Spot on..

Some friends of mine are training for "mixed martial arts" in another city of the world.

What is its scope here in BA?

ANy instructors/ schools? Its effectiveness?

Back