Where can I avail self-defense training in BA

Ceviche

Registered
With all these horror stories , I am hearing from all expats..I am beginning to get paranoid though I have been lucky to escape some incident so far. But who knows how long my luck will last.

Rather than leave it to god or my destiny, I want to do something about it.

I am looking for some self-defense training in a training school in BA or 1:1 in a park by some some private coach.

Any tips on such possibility of finding a school or a trainer for this kind of training?

I am a very tall guy with a good built..I want to maximize the advantage by learning some self -defense as well at least for a 1:1 combat in my house or on the road.

Ceviche said:
With all these horror stories , I am hearing from all expats..I am beginning to get paranoid though I have been lucky to escape some incident so far. But who knows how long my luck will last.
Arrgh, the problem with threads like this! You're not hearing from ALL expats, not even my point of view. It would be less than 1% of expats who ever comment on this forum.

No issues with learning self defense, never a bad thing for anyone anywhere to learn. But did you get the same urge living in inner cities elsewhere in the world? Or did you travel in South America and have the urge then??

Paranoia does feed on itself. I've been robbed twice - once in Kenya, once in Chile - does that mean I should be paranoid, stop traveling until I learn self defense, or just use common sense and continue to live my life?

(but like I said, nothing wrong with learning self defense as a general activity :) )

Don't let these stories get to you!!! The bad stories here only represent a small percentage of what actually goes on!

Anyway if you are going to learn a self defense I recommend Krav Maga. It is straight to the point, really effective and a great workout. I have seen a few places doing it here but I can't remember where. So if you find a martial arts gym ask about Krav Maga.

But don't let paranoia or fear get hold of you! This is a biiiggg city so of course things happen but remember it's the minority of the time! Enjoy BA, at the end of the day it's a great city regardless of the some of the madness ; )

Hey, say what you want, but there IS in fact more crime in BA and it IS more prevalent than a majority of the major cities in the world. I'm sorry...and if you think otherwise, you're kidding yourself. I would say it's pretty difficult to find an expat on this website that hasn't been a victim of a crime.

I think classes on prevention is the way to go rather than self defense. Also how to react when being a victim of a crime is great preparation for what may lie ahead. It's never a good idea to fight off a robber because they're usually armed anyhow, and down here they're not afraid to use it.

If I am robbed on the road, I dont mind giving them my wallet with 1000 pesos and my iphone.

But if they rob me when I am sleeping in my house and want to take away my laptop with my data and my back up data and my i phone and my passport and my money ....I have a problem!

I want to be ready!!

On another note, where can I take training in pistol shooting in BA. Not that I intend keeping one. I heard its possible in BA to take training

gsi16386 said:
Hey, say what you want, but there IS in fact more crime in BA and it IS more prevalent than a majority of the major cities in the world. I'm sorry...and if you think otherwise, you're kidding yourself. I would say it's pretty difficult to find an expat on this website that hasn't been a victim of a crime.

I am one ....
Sorry to single out this comment,but you can only judge from the few that actually talk, so the sample is actually biased. I am not one to defend BA per se, but I do not want to buy into paranoia . I have lived in Constitucion and returned home at all hours of the night. I took precautions of course ,I would in ANY city, but so far so good . For example I do not make the statement that Paris is more dangerous than BA as I was robbed there twice and never here.

I wouldn't be paranoid about these comments. While I think there is a lot of petty crime, I still don't let it bother me or make me worry too much.

I don't let it really effect me walking around at night. I'm not walking around sketchy areas and don't keep a lot of money or valuables with me.

My philosophy is don't carry around anything in the street you will be too bothered in losing. Just paying attention goes a long way.

Break ins at residential apartments, especially if you're in Recoleta or Palermo is very rare. I know it happens quite a bit outside of the Capital but in the city I've not heard problems of this in good areas.

gsi16386 said:
I would say it's pretty difficult to find an expat on this website that hasn't been a victim of a crime.
You're seriously taking this website as a good representation of the expat community? You're kidding, right??

As mentioned in another thread, it's probably rerepresentative of less than 1% of expats in BA at any one time, and only of those who make an overt effort to remain active within an expat community rather than mingle & integrate with locals, which is far from all expats.

And this includes any of my views, there's certainly no true representation of any expat views on this site, just various opinions.

Back