Where Can I Find Cheap Produce?

josephlm88

Registered
I just got back from a few weeks in Chile, and I got spoiled there! Produce (especially avocados and tomatoes) were so cheap! Also, since I blew through a lot of money in Chile... I need some really cheap food to make it work these days.

Does anyone know of a inexpensive farmers market or shop where I could buy fruits/vegetables/herbs?
Thanks!

To get the best prices, buy what's local, in season and in glut and buy it from the street stalls near where you live.

The cheapest you can find it would be mercado central, but its out of the city on the highway going to the airport so its very hard to get to.

Beyond that you will probably just have to search through all the verdurias near your place and find who has the best prices.

If you live near a less expensive neighborhood than the one you're in, walk a few blocks out of your way or hop on a bus and go stock up there. This also applies to the chinos. While in San Telmo I frequently walk to Barracas and go to the chino there, for example. Same stuff, way cheaper.

For one person how much will you really save? Not talking about big money here.
What you should do is buy small quantities as the name of the game is not just buying cheap, it's actually not ending up throwing most to the trash...
If you buy a kg of avocados and its about 20 pesos now, and you eat all, then it was worth the 20 pesos.
If you bought a kg of apples at 10/kg and ate 2 and threw away the other 4, then you basically paid 3 times what you should have spent.
I buy a lot of produce and when it gets thrown away it's mainly lettauce and sometimes carrots. What I don't use I usually freeze or use for cooking such as wok, soup, pizza, etc.
I always have strawberries in the freezer so I can make a smoothie pretty much year round. And I buy them by the kilo when they are like 3-5 pesos a kilo...so I stock up for the year.

Back