Where do you expect to be in one year's time?

all tango dancers are crazy. lots of my milonga friends have been dancing in small groups for a while now. and they are by no means 'young'

In our recent phone conversation, a milonguero said that he strongly believes we will see tango dancing in the plazas when the warmer weather arrives. Dancers know exactly what they are missing during the quarantine when all the milongas are closed -- the embrace of another human being.

Humans are social beings who need interaction to thrive, not just survive. Isolation is not normal for us. Wearing masks and using hand sanitizer is considered necessary for protection from infection, but we're in a sterile bubble that isn't good for us.

Many of us survived measles, mumps, and chicken pox as children without a vaccine and got a stronger immune system.

I will never leave Buenos Aires.

I am sure that will happen: people will dance with each other in private. Of course, many younger people, or people who are part of a couple, have been dancing throughout the cuarentena. But I can't see how the government could possibly allow formal milongas in enclosed venues until there is a effective vaccine administered. It's hard to come to terms with (and I write as someone who came here principally because of tango), but even some of the principal organizers can see the writing on the wall.

The celebrated Dr Fauci in the US just stated that the vaccine is expected to be 50% effective, maybe less. I've read that for those 65+ it could be no more than 20% -- IF there is a SAFE vaccine. A vaccine is NOT going to be a panacea. Social distancing will have to continue. I'm astonished at how few people are aware of this.
I see where Sweden is now seeing about 1 new case a day. They didn't shutdown like everyone else and apparently the virus has run through most of the population. They had 12,000+ deaths but appears it's pretty much over now.

None of that is even close to correct.

However, there is a very valid debate going on about whether the Swedes have been the wisest country of all in their approach. They argue that by the end of the pandemic other comparable countries will have seen comparable death and mobidity but they (Sweden) will have suffered less economic and social damage. We will have to wait for the end of the pandemic to know. I wouldn't be surprised if the Swedes turn out to be correct.

None of that is even close to correct.

However, there is a very valid debate going on about whether the Swedes have been the wisest country of all in their approach. They argue that by the end of the pandemic other comparable countries will have seen comparable death and mobidity but they (Sweden) will have suffered less economic and social damage. We will have to wait for the end of the pandemic to know. I wouldn't be surprised if the Swedes turn out to be correct.
I'm sorry but what exactly isn't correct? They announced they are averaging one new case a day now. Not hundreds or thousands.

As of today they have had a total of 5851 deaths since the pandemic began.

Today they had 180 new cases, yesterday 106 and the day before 206.

According to this, at best the virus has infected 30% of the population, but many think the figure is much lower: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...ve-herd-immunity-without-a-vaccine-2020-08-26

But, I agree with you: Sweden is a very interesting case. Their approach was different. People were very quick to condemn it. Many still do so. But the truth will only be known at the end, and the end is a long way off.

As of today they have had a total of 5851 deaths since the pandemic began.

Today they had 180 new cases, yesterday 106 and the day before 206.

According to this, at best the virus has infected 30% of the population, but many think the figure is much lower: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...ve-herd-immunity-without-a-vaccine-2020-08-26

But, I agree with you: Sweden is a very interesting case. Their approach was different. People were very quick to condemn it. Many still do so. But the truth will only be known at the end, and the end is a long way off.
I need to go back and look at the two sources I saw that on. Based on what you posted they are way off.

"I see where Sweden is now seeing about 1 new case a day."
1.Not everyone gets tested in Sweden. Tests are prioritized according to need, i.e., going to the doctor, healthcare workers, essential workers.
2. The current infection rate is not 1, it is 170.
3. The fat lady ain't sung yet, winter is coming, and it won't be pretty.

I'm still waiting for health experts to tell us to get some sun, exercise, eat healthy, not stress because these same health experts have destroyed the economy and caused mass job losses and social unrest in the name of protecting us and trying to tell us what rights we have (reality is its none).

Back