Where do you expect to be in one year's time?

Back in the old country after 15 years here. But gradually - I'll be spending enough time there to be resident, and back here quite a lot, tying things up. I can't wait to be gone, I've seen enough, I've had enough, Argentina depresses me.

Back in the old country after 15 years here. But gradually - I'll be spending enough time there to be resident, and back here quite a lot, tying things up. I can't wait to be gone, I've seen enough, I've had enough, Argentina depresses me.

Similar to what we plan on doing in the future. I like the idea of having one foot in each country before deciding to leave here permanently. Having 11 dogs doesn't exactly make it easy though. Goodness knows how we'll work that one out.

Unless Argentina becomes a totally failed state and it becomes so unsafe that I fear for my wife and daughters safety we will be staying.

There seems to be a massive amount of panic on here and most of it seems to be driven by the worry that your pocket will be impacted by being unable to take advantage of the blue dollar.

If you leave the country because you have to live somewhat like the average argentine would doing the same job then I’d argue that you won’t be missed.

I'm guessing most expats will benefit financially from the current mess going on here

Unless Argentina becomes a totally failed state and it becomes so unsafe that I fear for my wife and daughters safety we will be staying.

There seems to be a massive amount of panic on here and most of it seems to be driven by the worry that your pocket will be impacted by being unable to take advantage of the blue dollar.

If you leave the country because you have to live somewhat like the average argentine would doing the same job then I’d argue that you won’t be missed.

To be fair...I find the locals are far more prophets of doom than any expats I know.

To be fair...I find the locals are far more prophets of doom than any expats I know.
And with good reason. Unlike a person who is from another country, most locals have no hope of escape from the bad economic forces of their country. They are trapped and are condemned unlike the person from another country who has the ability to leave or use the power of their external funds.

And with good reason. Unlike a person who is from another country, most locals have no hope of escape from the bad economic forces of their country. They are trapped and are condemned unlike the person from another country who has the ability to leave or use the power of their external funds.
Family ties a lot of expats to Argentina. I am one example, my wife would not leave Argentina and take the kids out of the routine. Just having the ability to leave is only for some. It comes again to a bubble of expats that essentially live like tourists here, thinking the country is safe (becaue its not like Mexico City), that life revolves around 5 barrios in the center, and knowing they can bail out at any moment and have access to outside funds when they are here.

Admittedly, I do have the second part of that handy equation as I earn dollars outside. But leaving is not so simple, not that I want to leave right now.

I would be interested to hear from expats who are even more rooted here. Those who are tied to the country because of family and those who earn pesos and don't have the luxury of watching as a curious bystander while the currency situation changes. Even Argentines on this forum, it would be nice to see what their view is.

I would be interested to hear from expats who are even more rooted here. Those who are tied to the country because of family and those who earn pesos and don't have the luxury of watching as a curious bystander while the currency situation changes. Even Argentines on this forum, it would be nice to see what their view is.

Yes everyones situation is different which can make leaving impossible for some. I have an 85 year old mother in law who lives alone so we won't be going anywhere until her number's up. Luckily she has an excellent daily helper who has been with her for years that allows us to concentrate on the business side of things.
As we're both now getting on a bit I'm beginning to think when the opportunity to leave comes it just won't be worth the hassle.....so I suspect we won't. I can't say I'm that bothered to be honest as it'll be much easier and more enjoyable just to have a couple of holidays a year back to the UK.

Family ties a lot of expats to Argentina. I am one example, my wife would not leave Argentina and take the kids out of the routine. Just having the ability to leave is only for some. It comes again to a bubble of expats that essentially live like tourists here, thinking the country is safe (becaue its not like Mexico City), that life revolves around 5 barrios in the center, and knowing they can bail out at any moment and have access to outside funds when they are here.

Admittedly, I do have the second part of that handy equation as I earn dollars outside. But leaving is not so simple, not that I want to leave right now.

Good Morning Semi,

Really great post and points that you made.

I'd be interested to know the thoughts of others as well.

Back