Where else to live?

I went through Bulgaria and Romania in the 70's and they were nothing to write home about. But that's probably not fair. A lot has happened since the 70's :=).

Thanks for that chart. Very interesting.

TomAtAlki said:
I went through Bulgaria and Romania in the 70's and they were nothing to write home about. But that's probably not fair. A lot has happened since the 70's :=).

Thanks for that chart. Very interesting.

Really? Bulgaria is like a poor man's Greece. The coast is very nice with small towns and ancient architecture. Of course, if you want a big city, you would have to go to Sofia, which may be not that interesting.

Don't knock Sofia. I've been to Sofia a number of times (that number being one) and found it to be a great city where the streets are paved in gold. Rather, some of the streets downtown are paved in brick and are painted gold. And there's also a Dunkin' Donuts. None of this, of course, helps the original poster, but I wanted to defend Sofia because, well, why not?

As for me, I'm in BsAs because I want to be in BsAs and I find there to be a lot of bang here per buck that it costs. Although, if the the Vietnamese could produce some decent fútbol clubs and I could speak any Vietnamese, I might have chosen Ho Chi Minh City as well.

Empshel said:
Don't knock Sofia. I've been to Sofia a number of times (that number being one) and found it to be a great city where the streets are paved in gold. Rather, some of the streets downtown are paved in brick and are painted gold. And there's also a Dunkin' Donuts. None of this, of course, helps the original poster, but I wanted to defend Sofia because, well, why not?
Sorry if I offended you or your favorite city ;) I just like the coast more.

Empshel said:
As for me, I'm in BsAs because I want to be in BsAs and I find there to be a lot of bang here per buck that it costs.
Yup, BsAs is still a good deal if you have foreign based income.

Lee said:
You sound like a very interesting person. I am sure you must be 22 and your parents paid for your college and you are living off the money they give you to stay as far away from them as possible.

I could be wrong however. ;)

Pretty close. I'm 42 and retired off of the money I made practicing law in New York. Thanks for playing, though. :eek:

Prague?

I think the issue is what place is close to the cost of living in BA but has more to offer. That's how I see it anyway. I'd be willing to spend a bit more if I could get what I want.

I'd like to be in Europe. France appeals. I know that Paris is too expensive but what about provincial cities in France? I've heard that small towns have property that is relatively inexpensive but even if this is true there are issues of visas and medical care. After getting well established in BA it is not easy to make a move but I'd be interested in hearing from somone who has made the tradsition to Europe. Are there any blogs like this in some of the European cities?

I spent a month in Vietnam earlier this year and travelled from south to north via bus/train. Would highly recommend. Beautiful country... super cheap.... friendly people...everyone trying to learning english..... great to chill out on cheap budget or start tourism type business.

Met one expat who retired early (40's) who lived in Hanoi (from US) and loved it. Lots of russians seem to own businesses along the coast. Also caught an interview with Marc Faber (a somewhat famous investor) who lives in Thailand and picked Vietnam as a place he would move to if he was 20 again and wanted to remake his fortune.

My take was that the timing was perfect for an expat. 5-10 years of cheap living if you want to chill out. Tourism just starting to take off if you are of that mind.

We have been living in BA for three years now, needed to find a new place, and were getting frustrated with higher rents, so ended up renting a place up in the chica sierras after a trip to Cordoba providence. We were amazed at how much cheaper every thing was.....The cost of living comparison web site mentioned earlier also confirms this....yes we will not have all the "culture" stuff, but BA is a cheap flight away, so we figure we can come for a week or so every other month.....and after 3 years, it will be a nice break from all the hectic stuff that goes with the big city....

Back