Where`s The Beef ?

khairyexpat

Registered
Argentina Numero Uno Del Mundo beef producer. But they export every single good cut. For our bad luck we have to live here with the left overs. Tougher than a shoe sole.
Did any one find some half decent cuts?
Or discover a way to tenderize the damn thing?
Special treatment or recipe?
I tried to age it in fridge, marinate in viniger over night, etc etc ...
Nothing works !!!

Same thing happens in Texas. Ninety percent of the good fajita meat (outside skirt steak) is sent to Japan. So in the land of tex-mex, good (and authentic) fajitas are actually very hard to find. It's called globalization and I'm surprised Argentina had good beef for as long as it did. Search the forum; I'm sure many people have asked for carnicería recommendations.

Edit: To clarify, I should have written "good beef everywhere for as long as it did." Have heard many tales from Argentines and expats about the glory days when you could wander into pretty much any parrilla or carnicería and the offerings would be good to great.

Where are you buying? Never expect to find good beef in a supermarket. No matter where you live, there's probably a good carniceria not too far away.

Actually according to a report I read toda, India is winning the race,followed by Brazil, Austalia then the U.S.

I agree with the fact that you have to buy your meat at a carnicería. Not only for quality's sake, but for cost's sake as well. There is a good carnicería here in Congreso, it's not fancy at all but everything I've bought from them has been good and reasonably priced. It's on San José right off of Hipólito Yrigoyen about 3 stores in from the corner on the odd number (impar, as it's called here) side of the street. Try the bife ancho (rib eye).

You posted it first. Avicar is the best option.
Disco has "Cañana something" that is good enough.
Buy ternera if you want really soft meat.
And cook it slow.
Lemon is used, not vinegar. If the meat is hard, you have to cook it over 4 hours with its grease to tenderize it. However, to buy good meat works bettwer.

Back