Where`s The Beef ?

For years I knew nothing but Coto, Jumbo and alike, a complete utter disaster.
I buy "ojo de befe" "beef angosto" "beef de chorizo". "ojo de befe" being the most marbled.

I wouldn't buy any of those cuts! Chorizo... hmmmmm maybe. But yeah, I don't like any of those. The best and easiest cut to cook that always turns out tender (unless you are doing something insanely wrong) is entrana (skirt steak). Cook WITH the silverside on and then remove before eating. For tenderizing beef, just coarse salt -- best overnight in the fridge. You could do coarse salt + herbs if you prefer. The other cut we use often is vacio (cook slowly, low heat if you are using your oven) and I like asado (tira de asado). Always cook your meat in the brolier portion of your oven, but the whole cooking it for 2 seconds for a rare cut does not produce a tender steak here. Argentine beef is not aged the same way it is in the States, you're trying to cook a different product the same way you would an American steak. I've gotten used to my beef "a punto" rather than under, and it does have better flavour -- my husband likes to cook his until dry, I still find that horrible.

1)Make shure you shop only ternera ( this is the age of the cattle.
2) carnicerias-
3) ojo de bife, bife de chorizo, bife de costilla, lomo and cuadril. ( discard any other cause you still have to learn about meat)
3) the meat should NOT be dark, it must be pink and look kind of gelly, not firm.-
4)Always, but always cook it slow and firm.
put salt befor starting to cook ( pleanty)
Do not put the meat to cook directly from the fridge!!! leave it outside for 2 hours !!
if not it will be hard as a stone!
well , practice this and get back with the experience of it
regards

Entrana ? English word or Espanol? Never heard of it.
Wow .... lots of good info there ... txs.

entraña isnt a good meat, its very difficult to cook!! trust me

I have something to share with all of you:
I walk into the carniceria and get the carnicero this way:
" If I invite to an asado at home, what will you pick for me?"
afterwards tell him its only " if" , so next time he will remember you and dont forget to tell him how was your asado!!
If you have a good relation with them, gets to the point to say " no good meat today"
it works for me

Mercado el Progreso, Rivadavia 5430. Once you experience this market you probably won't buy meat anywhere else.
Nancy

The meat there is of the absolute best quality. The lines are ridiculously long, but it's worth waiting. The lomo I buy is so tasty that you don't even need to add salt to it. If you overcook the meat it loses it's flavor. They tend to overcook beef here and it ends up tasting like beef jerky. I prefer it nice and juicy. I like eating out at La Brigada in San Telmo. The lomo tastes like pure butter and it's much less expensive than Cabana de las Lilas and El Mirasol.

Mercado el Progreso, Rivadavia 5430. Once you experience this market you probably won't buy meat anywhere else.
Nancy
It's not the market. It's the cows.
Unless your market has a direct pipeline to grass fed rancher...which is growing more and more unlikely Good meat in Argentina is a thing of the past. When I am in Florida I get grass fed Angus all day long. And it's so much better than anything I get in Argentina. At any price!

In this case it is the market, good butchers there, good beef, lamb, etc and fabulous veggies.
Nancy

Has anyone got any actual statistics detailing the grass fed vs feedlot beef split? Interested in the decline, but I can't get a sense of what the reality of the situation outside of anecdotal evidences.

You can use baking soda as well to make the meat tender, but better indeed buy a good piece from the scratch!

Has anyone got any actual statistics detailing the grass fed vs feedlot beef split? Interested in the decline, but I can't get a sense of what the reality of the situation outside of anecdotal evidences.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is "feedlot beef split"? Are you talking about hormone fed?

Back