Where To Buy Kale??

ClaireJ

Registered
I've seen several posts on here where people mention being able to find kale but nothing specific. I'm having a craving (a weird thing to crave, I know!) and really want to get my hands on some. The guy at my local verduleria had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about "col rizada" (even after a 10 minute exchange where I tried to describe kale to him). I live in Boedo, and I'm guessing it won't be found around here, but I'm willing to go out of my way to find some, if someone can tell me exactly where they've spotted it...

Suggest a Fruteria on Larrea bet. Berutti and Juncal, excelent produce not Cheap·$$ Col rizada, bet no one here ever heard of it by that name.

Acelga (Swiss Chard) is widely available. Might work as a substitute for your craving.

I've been eating quite a bit of acelga already - works for cooked dishes, but what I really want is raw kale salad, and I don't think chard can work as a substitute unfortunately.

Best bet is the San Telmo market. Haven't particularly looked for kale but if any one has it, it's the verduleros de San Telmo. I recently bought a huge bunch of gorgeous dandelion there, enough for salads for a week. Really the best place.

I totally know what you mean ... acelga is way too high in sodium for my taste.

I'm having seeds sent to me from the US so I can grow my own... I'll let you know when I harvest ;)

I used to buy kale from a vendor at the Bonpland Market (not the most popular curly kind, but rather this type: http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/img/cb_kaler02g.jpg)

I've never seen kale (the popular kind), and ALWAYS check whenever I'm in a new verdulería, my sources say it doesn't exist here. If you happen to find it, let us know!

Back