Where To Find Organic Blackstrap Molasses?

Should I expect it to be like a sweet balsamic vinegar, then?

In the US you have all sort of off foods that are unknown to me. When I read such posts, I always wonder how did you find out they exist, where did you buy it and what do you use them for. Italian ingredients are so plain in comparison!

Should I expect it to be like a sweet balsamic vinegar, then?

In the US you have all sort of off foods that are unknown to me. When I read such posts, I always wonder how did you find out they exist, where did you buy it and what do you use them for. Italian ingredients are so plain in comparison!

No, molasses is a sugar product, usually either cane or beet sugar. It is a very thick (viscous) liquid, most often dark brown (although there are lighter colored versions). The British version/style is known as treacle Blackstrap molasses is the darkest, strongest type (like sorghum, another molasses variation). Yes, it is sweet, akin to the sweetness of refined burnt sugar. Gingerbread gets its dark color from the addition of molasses.

Molasses has been around for hundreds of years. It has been a cooking staple in northern European countries for a long, long time. Also, there are variations found in the cuisines of the Middle East and South Asia, dating back hundreds of years. Molasses traveled across the Atlantic with the first settlers of North America, and its use increased substantially due to the abundance of sugar grown in the southern US states and Caribbean islands. By the early 18th century, molasses and all its variations became a (regional) staple of traditional North American cookery.

Thanks Joe Gillis, that's all very interesting. It looks like the Mediterranean was left out somehow.

Hey look what I found on Mercadolibre....I can't believe it. Blackstrap Melaza grown with organic fertilizer...price is kind of steep, $190 pesos for 900ml, however almost a kg of Melaza I am certain will last you for months.
http://articulo.merc...te-organico-_JM
Wow! This could be great! It's pricy but it's a huge jar... I'll contact the seller through Mercado Libre to see if I can find out more about it. Thank you so much!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Expat Life 2
H Expat Life 10
camel Expat Life 3
S Expat Life 1
P Expat Life 22
Back