Where's a Good Small Town to Ride Out the Storm?

How much will an estancia in Azul or Tandil cost in terms of USD per hectares or acre?

How hard it will be keep possession of these if one is not living there all the time.
A lot. First off, a "small" estancia might be 1000 hectaires. times $2000 or $3000 USD per.

Look here, and window shop.

The alternative is a residential chacra in a 5-hectare per lot subdivision. Neighbors would be about a block away.

In rural Colonia there are some 70-150 hectare "campos" available, many in areas with dairy farms. That would be more affordable, but multiplied by 3000 to 5000 dollars per hectare it gets scary pretty fast.

This site is fun to browse - mainly Uruguay land, but also a few listings in other countries.

Last edited:
The alternative is a residential chacra in a 5-hectare per lot subdivision. Neighbors would be about a block away.

In rural Colonia there are some 70-150 hectare "campos" available, many in areas with dairy farms. That would be more affordable, but multiplied by 3000 to 5000 dollars per hectare it gets scary pretty fast.

This site is fun to browse - mainly Uruguay land, but also a few listings in other countries.

Some of these properties are quite beautiful but they're remote and I'm curious about how safe an expat would be?

While we’re on the subject of local travel, does anybody know if the long distance buses that move out of Retiro are running?.
I wouldn’t mind taking a brake from BA. But I have a feeling that the options for travel are limited. Ditto for train service.
Mobility: transport and services during the new phase....

Some of these properties are quite beautiful but they're remote and I'm curious about how safe an expat would be?

Well this search started as a Small Town house to live . Now we are into looking at 1000 hectares and 75 .100 hectares..?

Also living in a city like Tandil requires a car to move around..? I believed the interest was a small house,2- 3 bedrooms, with a garden and a Quincho in the patio . And a bicycle to move around in a small town

I don't know how the security works in Uruguay but in Argentina living in the middle of the Potrero, dirt dark road , 2 kmts from downtown . I wouldn't recommend it ..! The Rural Police drives around with search lights many cut wire fences and stolen animals . The Police advice is if you see some headlights in the dark on side roads, call the Rural Police, at once, will arrive on 4x4 trucks...Only near town center is my advice.

Last edited:
I don't know how the security works in Uruguay but in Argentina living in the middle of the Potrero, dirt dark road , 2 kmts from downtown . I wouldn't recommend it ..! The Rural Police drives around with search lights many cut wire fences and stolen animals . The Police advice is if you see some headlights in the dark on side roads, call the Rural Police, at once, will arrive on 4x4 trucks...Only near town center is my advice.

Don't know about the rest of Uruguay, but my part of Colonia is pretty quiet. The builder made iron bars for the house but I did not install them - didn't want to ruin the views. The place was burglarized twice when vacant. The first time the thieves stole a toaster, a hair dryer, and a pair of very old binoculars. The second time the alarm went off and they fled without taking anything.

After looking around the house, the alarm guy's advice was to leave all doors unlocked, since it would be more expensive to fix a broken double-pane window than to replace anything the thieves could steal. A sad comment on my personal belongings....!

The caretaker thought so too - said the pickings were so slim that, once word got around that the place was not worth robbing, local burglars would not bother with it.

Last edited:
Don't know about the rest of Uruguay, but my part of Colonia is pretty quiet. The builder made iron bars for the house but I did not install them - didn't want to ruin the views. The place was burglarized twice when vacant. The first time the thieves stole a toaster, a hair dryer, and a pair of very old binoculars. The second time the alarm went off and they fled without taking anything.

After looking around the house, the alarm guy advice was to leave all doors unlocked, since it would be more expensive to fix a broken double pane window than to replace anything the thieves could steal. A sad comment on my personal belongings....!

The caretaker thought so too - said the pickings were so poor that, once word got around that it the place was not worth robbing, local burglars would not bother with it.

Pretty sad if you live there permanently and have all your personal belongings stolen, when you are gone for the week end..! Not practical..
People that live in the middle of nowhere, a few kilometres from downtown keep weapons handy. Also many couples that park in the dark ..! get suddenly the police headlights head on. neighbors call the police as soon as a car stops..!! No love Alleys anymore..?

Back