Where's a Good Small Town to Ride Out the Storm?

To ride in a small town you must plan this in advance like Steve near Bahia Blanca did . He was intelligent in the sense that he integrated himself in a friendly community years ago . Now he is one of them and this will help him inmensely ride this out as everyone knows him and will look out for him . I agree with Sergio that to now go to a small town is too late as people will look at you with fear and distrust . This virus has changed the world for the moment and people are fearful of anything new or foreign .

No one here has ever been afraid of me.

Even after ten years, many of them are still curious (if not incredulous) as to why anyone who could live in a first world country would choose to live here:

house.jpg

Last edited:
No one here has ever been afraid of me.

Even after ten years, many of them are still curious (if not incredulous) as to why anyone who could live in a first world country would choose to live here:

View attachment 6682
That's a lovely place. Did you sell the adjoining lots? Your neighbors must be proud that a "yanki" chooses to make his home in their town.

In rural Uruguay, the locals have adopted me as a local pet. After sixteen years, I'm not one of them but neither am I an outsider. Just this crazy person who likes to live among them, and buys supplies at the Coperativa Rural.

Last edited:
I inadvertantly posted the following in another thread. I meant to post it here, as it deals with how "small" towns are dealing with the situation:

As of today, all restaurants in Punta Alta will be limited to delivery only. All turnos at the public hospital and private clinics have been cancelled, and all activities that result in people gathering in groups have been suspended (churches, night clubs, gyms, senior centers, theaters, etc).

The nearby coastal resort community of Pehuen-Co is closed to visitors and tourists.

Minicipal offices remain open, but only a two people at a time will be allowed to enter.

Businesses may be open from 6 am to 8 pm, and customers must maintain a one meter distance from each other.

Chaco and Mendoza Provinces closed to non residentes
Hotels in the Atlantic Coast take no reservations
In Ba no San Patricio Celebration

Stevein buenos Aires
You are a 10 year resident property owner and live sort of out of town.. So you are part of the local fauna, not a newcomer under the current pandemia.

Last edited:
Ushuaia asking tourists to leave the city, asap. Town of Ceres with 20,000 inhabitants Closed for 14 days.. Also Selva under observation.

Stevein buenos Aires
You are a 10 year resident property owner and live sort of out of town.. So you are part of the local fauna, not a newcomer under the current pandemia.
Yes, I think that´s the point Perry was making. I´ve been here long enough for the locals to know me well enough not to be suspicious or fearful of me in any way.

It became clearer than ever what they think of me afer I "fought off" a triple assault from the town "bully" who was about 50 years younger than me.

PS: As of yesterday (the last time I went shopping in the nearby village), no one seemed concerned about the coronavirus in the slightest, though I´m sure by now they´ve implemented the mandatory measures in the shops...

...and I still have yet to see anyone wearing a protective mask.

Last edited:
I saw on the TV chiron that they're stopping long distance buses. It looks like long distance travel will be restricted.

Maybe I'll look for a house rental in the Northern suburbs when this AirBNB is finished April 12th.

Or maybe the restrictions will be lifted April 1st...

Shopping Malls workers like Abasto, in CABA, protest and ask the City to close the Malls. What is the difference between those workers and the workers in a ladies fashion store next door to the Mall. Then all sores should close.
The workers claim they have to travel in train to work and are exposed to germs, also they are in contact with tourists that may be infected . Believe they want to be payed to stay home.
The workers in a small shop get paid under the table.

Back