Where's a Good Small Town to Ride Out the Storm?

I only keep inexpensive, easily replaceable things there. After thirteen years, I've spent a grand total of $260 replacing stolen things. But the binoculars travel with me now.

As for keeping weapons, I don't feel the need as only vacant places have been broken into. In my area there's theft but no personal violence, so far. But I would not feel safe living alone in the country in Argentina, where robberies are more violent.

Well this search started as a Small Town house to live . Now we are into looking at 1000 hectares and 75 .100 hectares..?

Also living in a city like Tandil requires a car to move around..? I believed the interest was a small house,2- 3 bedrooms, with a garden and a Quincho in the patio . And a bicycle to move around in a small town

I don't know how the security works in Uruguay but in Argentina living in the middle of the Potrero, dirt dark road , 2 kmts from downtown . I wouldn't recommend it ..! The Rural Police drives around with search lights many cut wire fences and stolen animals . The Police advice is if you see some headlights in the dark on side roads, call the Rural Police, at once, will arrive on 4x4 trucks...Only near town center is my advice.
I have been to Tandil many times, and, while a car is helpful, its far from necessary. The main part of town is easily walkable. The buses are actually pretty good, and the taxi rides are, by BA standards, incredibly short. Its a very easy town to live in, lots of good things to eat, friendly people, and the fact that it has a college means they are much less conservative and provincial than, say, Coronel Rauch.

I have been to Tandil many times, and, while a car is helpful, its far from necessary. The main part of town is easily walkable. The buses are actually pretty good, and the taxi rides are, by BA standards, incredibly short. Its a very easy town to live in, lots of good things to eat, friendly people, and the fact that it has a college means they are much less conservative and provincial than, say, Coronel Rauch.

The City of Coronel Rauch is named after a Prusian Coronel Federico Rauch hired to kill Ranquel indians in the 1820's,
Rauch inhabitants now wish to rename the City as Arbolito the name of the Ranquel Indian that decapitated the Genocide Coronel Rauch.

Coronel Rauch, was a very brave Prussian officer, he was at least 200 meters ahead of his troops brandishing his sword and found the shape of his shoe, because after writing a part where he said “today we have saved bullets , we slaughtered 27 Ranqueles ”, a young, handsome, tall Indian with long hair, whom they called“ Arbolito ”was waiting for him in a hollow, and when this colonel passed at full speed on his steed, he went behind him, bounced him the horse, the European soldier fell, and the Indian Arbolito committed the sacrilege of cutting off his head. Thus he avenged so many of his companions on the pampas.

Rauch is not a popular guy these days. The town is cute, very quiet, and has a good bakery right on the central square. But the best thing is the Salamone architectural projects there. The Municipalidad is one of the very few Salamone buildings with intact Salamone designed furniture and lighting, and its an incredible building. He also did a couple of other buildings in town. You can usually get somebody to let you in to the various meeting rooms and see the furniture- its kind of art deco.

Tandil is big enough to have a range of food, and wealthy enough to support it.
There are regular things- pizza, parilla, roasted chicken, and pasta. There are some cool seat of the pants gourmet places- a chef and a waitress, 6 tables. There are more traditional provincia style qualtiy places- decorated like a nice house, classic dishes made well. There are places for young people, with burgers and fries and artesanal beer.
The big local thing is salami, and artesan cheeses- so there is an entire salame trail, with a map app, with close to a dozen places that have a wide range of cured meats, cheeses, and olives. Most will serve you a picada plate to go or to eat there. The portions are gigantic.
Very good old fashioned butchers, bakeries, empanada bakers, and there are health food stores, and good greengrocers.

We often go for a week, and eat very well, cooking some of our own meals, and going out for others. The agricultural areas surrounding mean a lot of fresh produce, berries, and of course, meat. Its a pretty sophisticated town for its size.

For instance, I buy fresh pasta from this place, in a 100 year old house, with homemade tuco. https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...sAF1QipOisHCGM_w92jjNqzFAWSBS22jaDbfZG4z1OrJI

The City of Coronel Rauch is named after a Prusian Coronel Federico Rauch hired to kill Ranquel indians in the 1820's,
Rauch inhabitants now wish to rename the City as Arbolito the name of the Ranquel Indian that decapitated the Genocide Coronel Rauch.

Coronel Rauch, was a very brave Prussian officer, he was at least 200 meters ahead of his troops brandishing his sword and found the shape of his shoe, because after writing a part where he said “today we have saved bullets , we slaughtered 27 Ranqueles ”, a young, handsome, tall Indian with long hair, whom they called“ Arbolito ”was waiting for him in a hollow, and when this colonel passed at full speed on his steed, he went behind him, bounced him the horse, the European soldier fell, and the Indian Arbolito committed the sacrilege of cutting off his head. Thus he avenged so many of his companions on the pampas.

Two comments

Arbolito the Ranquel Indian was ahead of his time, not related in any way to the Arbolitos that cash dollars downtown.

The Google translation missed the point ," the Indian Arbolito waited for Rauch then chased him on foot and Boleo the Horse with his boleadoras and made the horse fell to the ground.. with the rider ...then proceeded to chop Rauch's head off..

Nice opportunity in San Pedro near BA Capital
For $400 K aprox, buy 33 hectares to play with, river front property..!
Looks that the price for the raw land, in which case it is just the start. Add about U$S 300,000 more for a well, power line, and buildings such as main house, caretaker's house, and barn.

Looks that the price for the raw land, in which case it is just the start. Add about U$S 300,000 more for a well, power line, and buildings such as main house, caretaker's house, and barn.

That's if you plan to live there ..? otherwise you just rent the property to a farmer to continue with the current crops, looks all planted with soy..? You may add a prefab home for week ends..!

Back