Which Has The Better Economy: Argentina Or Chile?

Which Country has the Best Economy?

• Argentina

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Chile

Votes: 20 80.0%

• Total voters
Folks, there is no such thing as "free university" or "free healthcare", specially in Argentina. You pay for it just like in Chile, but you do it indirectly and you have no way of knowing how much bang you are getting for your buck.

BRAVO! Unfortunately it is impossible to make most people understand this.

Folks, there is no such thing as "free university" or "free healthcare", specially in Argentina. You pay for it just like in Chile, but you do it indirectly and you have no way of knowing how much bang you are getting for your buck.

BRAVO! Unfortunately it is impossible to make most people understand this.

I think there's a strong case to be made for subsidizing university education, but there needs to be more transparency (in Argentina????), and I would balk at providing those same subsidies to non-residents. For what it's worth, the Chilean government subsidizes post-graduate education for its nationals who get into US universities - if you get admitted to Harvard or Stanford, they'll pay for it.

I appreciate your point of view friend. I just simply dont share it. If I had such a poor view of this country id probably pick up my toys and go home. But I like it here and I also study here because I am paying one fifth of what I would be paying in a comparable school in the USA. I dont feel I am taking advantage of Argentina or that they are subsidizing my education. I go to a private institute, Gato Dumas, and they dont think im taking advantage of any situation either. Quite the contrary, they like my business. I also rent an apartment and pay taxes as a monotributista. I contribute to the economy in a small way and get a good affordable education in return. So do my Chilean counterparts. My class is about 35% foreigners. I think it is great for the country and the students. I dont understand your negativity towards foreign students.
Yes, of course they come here, when Argentinians subsidize the education of Chileans, with no strings attached. It is one of the dumbest policies I have ever seen and the poor Chileans would be stupid not to take advantage of it. If you had limited funds and had to choose between an university that although expensive but that you can afford it, vs a university that is 100% free, which one would you pick? That by no means is an indication that the economy in Argentina is better. It is simply an indication that the policy is so stupid that Argentina now subsidizes the education of its wealthier neighbor.

And yes, Chile has a better airforce than Argentina. Also has much better universities (not free), better infrastructure and better social indicators. For example:

Child mortality rate in Argentina is 50% higher than Chile's. So Chile can afford a better air force AND better pre-natal and post-natal care than Argentina. All with lower taxes, lower inflation and no currency controls.

This is very interesting. I went with my son a while back to talk to a Price-Waterhouse accountant about taxes, etc., in Argentina. In the conversation I told him that I keep hearing Chile is in better shape than Argentina, but I've been in Chile. Most of the buildings look like they need to be torn down and rebuilt and Argentina is beautiful, top-notch. Argentina sure LOOKS in better shape. He said yes it does but it is not so. Chile is in much better shape economically. I didn't ask details, we were not there for that, but that was his opinion. I have a friend in Chile who is paid a very good salary, comparable to the U.S. when I left there. Most people would not think a person in Chile would be that well paid.

I don't know the answer but I'm interested in the conversation! One thing, a lot of people come to Argentina not because the economy is better but for the free stuff. Chile does not offer as much free stuff. I am getting ready to go to Chile for a few months and Argentina friends tell me don't stay there, you have to pay for everything there and in Argentina it is free. So this could be a factor.

No figures? just comments? Chile is way above Argentina in all international standards as reported bu major financial institutions, Country Risk says it all

http://www.ambito.com/noticia.asp?id=372290

Argentina closer to Iraq than to Chile in country-risk

Not_20071119_372290.gif

Why is Belgium so high? Greece doesn't even show up.

Edit: Those are from 2007... what the ***.

Why is Belgium so high? Greece doesn't even show up.

Edit: Those are from 2007... what the ***.

Yeah no kidding. Lets throw in some unfavorable rulings re: the apparently illegal default, some currency controls, IMF threatening sanctions and a brand new debt swap and recalculate.

Yeah no kidding. Lets throw in some unfavorable rulings re: the apparently illegal default, some currency controls, IMF threatening sanctions and a brand new debt swap and recalculate.

Forgot to mention the Chinese economic slowdown.

I think Joe is taking the piss with this topic.

You just have to go to santiago for a day. Or look at LAN compared to Aerolinas (service, quality of planes, flight on time etc).

Go read the latest global competitive report and you will see the difference.

http://www3.weforum....ort_2012-13.pdf

Here are the basic stats:
Chile:
Population (millions)........................................ 17.3
GDP (US$ billions)........................................ 268.2
GDP per capita (US$)................................. 15,410
GDP (PPP) as share (%) of world total............ 0.39

Argentina:
Population (millions)........................................ 40.8
GDP (US$ billions)........................................ 475.0
GDP per capita (US$)................................. 11,576
GDP (PPP) as share (%) of world total............ 0.89